Tomtom?

kyanos

Hi there!

First of all let me wish you all a very Merry X-mas!

well i just found out about this Geocaching business yesterday and that got me curious and excited about it! Hmm.. I have a Tomtom One V2 that i bought 6 months ago to help me driving through Europe, now i found that Geocaching functions on GPS, will it work on my Tomtom? Cause the devices i keep on seeing are Garmin and Magellan... :|

Oh and by the way, if you have any tips and hints please feel free to help ;)

I hope you can help me, with kind Regards,

kyanos

Hi Kyanos,

I also started with TomTom, but with Navigator and found my first 5 caches with it. If you can put in coordinates in your device you can start.

BUT... the TT One nor Navigator are ment to be used in the field. They are not really shock- or waterproof and thus very vulnerable. Mostly these device are used to ride to the parking waypoint and from there the outdoor devices will guide us.

The devices of Garmin, Magellan (and others) are more designed for outdoor use. But nothing keeps you from trying, off course!

Kind Regards,

Hans

The devices of Garmin, Magellan (and others) are more designed for outdoor use. But nothing keeps you from trying, off course!

Was that "of course" or actually intended to be "off course"

It was funny, either way.

;)

Seriously, I would have to agree that a handheld Garmin or Magellan unit it s real way to go if you get into geocaching.

ah, don't listen to them, they all are paid by Garmin and Magellan ;)

We have been caching for months with our TomTom ONE.

It is true that it's not as tough a machine as the handhelds and therefore needs to be treated a little more carefully, but it's fully doable. We've found 45 caches with ours so far, winter has slowed us down a bit.

Here is a quote from a previous post that I did with a little info on how we use our TomTom:

It takes a little patience because it's definitely a car navigator and not a handheld, but it's all we have and we use it all the time for caching.

When you get to your "parking" location, touch the screen and go to browse map. Bring the zoom in fairly close. You can touch the blue arrow at the top right to get your current location, which will show as a blue quartered dot on the screen. Then you need your coords again. The dot is going to be your locaton, using the touch screen (we use a twig or something like a stylus to make it easier) move the dot around until it's located at the coords of the cache and then start looking . There is something called "offroad navigator" that you can download and install that a lot of people use, I have it installed, just haven't tried it yet!

Like I said, it takes a little patience and getting used to since it doesn't show tracks or anything like that, but it is perfectly doable! We do use a small compass, too, just to help orientate us sometimes, but it's the type that is attached to a watch band and it's on Micke's watch, so it's always with us anyway, lol!

Hope that helps some!

Naomi B)

hehe..Actually I 've meant 'of course' like 'naturally'... :-) funny

@Naomi, I didn't mean to shoot the TT One for geocaching, but the requestor asked advice :-) Like I 've said I did my first caches with a TT Navigator, with the same issues like no trails etc...I even had no possibility to insert coordinates. But with a little add-on I had found this was perfect on my PDA.

So if you are carefull with your device it doesn't matter if it is a handheld garmin or tomtom one.

And no, I am not paid :-) only a happy user of garmin gpsmap.

Regards,

Hans

Thank you all for your answers! They were very helpful!

Naomi: I have to say that you made me smile (in a way that i don't have to spend £60 on a new GPS device ;p) Great Tip!!! ;) Thank you very much!

And i wish you all a Merry Xmas! Enjoy your GeoCaching, i will try to begin it as well! i still have to find my way on it! B)

hehe..Actually I 've meant 'of course' like 'naturally'... :-) funny

@Naomi, I didn't mean to shoot the TT One for geocaching, but the requestor asked advice :-) Like I 've said I did my first caches with a TT Navigator, with the same issues like no trails etc...I even had no possibility to insert coordinates. But with a little add-on I had found this was perfect on my PDA.

So if you are carefull with your device it doesn't matter if it is a handheld garmin or tomtom one.

And no, I am not paid :-) only a happy user of garmin gpsmap.

Regards,

Hans

Hehehe, Hans, no worries, I was only being silly!

Merry Christmas, Joyeux Noel, Zalig Kerstfeest en Gelukkig nieuw jaar, Froehliche Weihnachten, and finally, God Jul!!

Naomi ;)

Hi,

i have recently bought the road Angel 7000 Adventurer which is both a road satnav and also uses Memory Map for off road mapping, i bought it for off road driving and it is great better than a paper map but with the same detail.

Now i have discovered geocaching i tried the gps yesterday and it was good, its waterproof and easy to use....have a look

Road Angel 7000

hope this helps paul smile.gif