Hi, I'm a geo virgin!

chrisf77

Hi - Wecome aboard!!!

First off - don't let all the options on the unit confuse you. For now concentrate on learning 2 important things.

1 - How to enter coordinates, find the icon labled mark, click it, edit the coordinates using the little click stick and menus to be the coordinates on a listing page for a geocache.

2 - How to find a cache, find the "find" icon, click it, select the menu button to search by distance (from where you are) or alphabetically. Chhose a cache from 1 above and then click goto. Select the compass screen and follow it to the cache location.

Have Fun!!

Let me know how you like it, im looking at buying that model. And welcome to the boards.

Scuba

Hi Scuba

Thanks for the welcome! From what I've read elsewhere it appears that the HCx is supposed to be about as good as it gets. The only problem I've had .... so far .... is that the manual is not very explicit, & being a complete beginner, I'm confused already. :unsure:

Chris

Hi - Wecome aboard!!!

First off - don't let all the options on the unit confuse you. For now concentrate on learning 2 important things.

1 - How to enter coordinates, find the icon labled mark, click it, edit the coordinates using the little click stick and menus to be the coordinates on a listing page for a geocache.

2 - How to find a cache, find the "find" icon, click it, select the menu button to search by distance (from where you are) or alphabetically. Chhose a cache from 1 above and then click goto. Select the compass screen and follow it to the cache location.

Have Fun!!

Thanks StarBrand,

I can't wait to get started! I'll give it a go .... soon! :unsure:

Chris

Hi Scuba

Thanks for the welcome! From what I've read elsewhere it appears that the HCx is supposed to be about as good as it gets. The only problem I've had .... so far .... is that the manual is not very explicit, & being a complete beginner, I'm confused already. :unsure:

Chris

For some unknown reason, Garmin cannot seem to write a clear or meaningful manual. I have never found them useful, and I always end up finding more nifty things my unit can do just by dinking around with it. Those nifty things are never hinted at in the manual.

Read through the manual, then burn it. It's not useful. I agree with Starbrand's advice: focus on learning how to enter coordinates and select them as a destination. That's all you really need to start caching. Then give it to your nearest twelve year old and have them figure everything else out and show you how it works.