Garmin Vista HCx

Alan2

1. 2 gb micro sd will more than hold all of North America .

2. I bought the Garmin carrying case at Amazon.com for $10.99 Don't wear it on the belt but its seems very strong.

3. I also bought from Amazon.com City Navigator DVD North America NT

2008 (010-10816-00) for $117.44

4. Also bought the 12 volt power cord. Not sure about the price

Edited by W7WT

The clip that shipped with my Vista HCx is not a belt holder. It's for the bike adapter, windshield mount, and/or bean bag mount. They are not very well made for bike riding, the locking clip will eventually crack. Both my clips, one for the Vista and one for my Venture Cx, have cracked. Garmin is replacing them, but the design remains the same and I will be contacting Garmin for new ones again in a few months.

I second W7WT's recommendations.

The limit of 2025 map segments will come into play, so you may find that this becomes the limit prior to needing all 2GB of a microSD.

I almost went out and bought a 2GB card when my Legend HCx was shipping, but decided to see how my existing 1GB card (out of my phone) went. The maps I've got loaded will be different from yours (I'm not in North America) but with almost 1800 map segments I'm using less than 400 MB!

The rest of the space is available to track archiving (in GPX format) which takes up hardly any space at all.

Presumably with lots of routing maps the average segment size will be larger, but even then 2GB may be overkill. If you're going out to buy a card you may as well be safe and get a 2GB one (especially given today's prices) but if you've got an existing card you might want to give it a go.

I recommend a 12V adaptor and the suction mount. I have a handlebar mount on my bike also, but I don't do a lot of off-roading so haven't seen any problem there. FWIW I used to use these mounts with my old Legend.

I tried using a belt clip swivel (on a neoprene case) with my Legend, but it didn't work too well for me. With my HCx I can stuff it in a pocket and it will stay connected to the satellites anyway. So I don't bother with a fancy clip/lanyard/etc for the HCx.

OK so I installed the micro SD (2GB) and loaded Metroguide, Topo and Road and Recreation (R&R) for one area. It appears that only Metroguide map shows. When I go to Setup Map - Information, only Dec 2007 shows in the Map Name box with the check box to the left. That's it. None of the other maps I loaded show. I know I loaded them because when I opened a new Mapsourse file on my computer and downloaded to it from the Vista, all the maps trasnferred to the computer?

What's up? How do I select Topo or R&R