Garmin eTrex Vista HCx

junmy3

I am just about to give up trying to use my Garmin eTrex Legend with my Vista computer. I am thinking about getting a eTrex Vista HCx. If I had asked on this forum before I bought my Legend, I may have decided on something else. So I do not want to make the same mistake again. What are the pros and cons of the Vista HCx? Or should I be looking at something else? Thanks

I am just about to give up trying to use my Garmin eTrex Legend with my Vista computer. I am thinking about getting a eTrex Vista HCx. If I had asked on this forum before I bought my Legend, I may have decided on something else. So I do not want to make the same mistake again. What are the pros and cons of the Vista HCx? Or should I be looking at something else? Thanks

I don't think these two "Vistas" - Garmin Vista HCx and Microsoft Windows Vista - have anything in common.

When you say the eTrex Legend doesn't work with your Vista computer, what exactly is it that doesn't work? MapSource? USB drivers? Something else?

There are lots of threads here about the Vista HCx. I have one and love it - great sensitivity, nice readable display, and a compact form factor. But none of that has anything to do with the PC hookup, where the only real variable is whether you use a serial or USB connection.

I can not get my Legend to talk with my new computer. The computer has Windows Vista and it does not have a serial port. I spent over an hour on the phone with Garmin last night trying to get it to work with out success. I was told that I might could buy another usb to RS232 adapter cable and it may or may not work. So I am thinking about getting another GPS that works with USB.

I have already asked on this forum about what adapter cable to get, but the reply was only moderately hopeful. If anyone could tell me that where they bought an adapter for their GPS and that they got it to work with Vista, I will be happy to check out that route instead of looking for a new GPS.

If I need to buy a new GPS, I want to find out what others think about the eTresx Vista HCx.

Thanks

You need an adapter that has the drivers that will work with that OS. This one works on all my systems, Mac's & PC's, and has connected to GPS's and anything else I plug into it.

I can not get my Legend to talk with my new computer. The computer has Windows Vista and it does not have a serial port. I spent over an hour on the phone with Garmin last night trying to get it to work with out success. I was told that I might could buy another usb to RS232 adapter cable and it may or may not work. So I am thinking about getting another GPS that works with USB.

I have already asked on this forum about what adapter cable to get, but the reply was only moderately hopeful. If anyone could tell me that where they bought an adapter for their GPS and that they got it to work with Vista, I will be happy to check out that route instead of looking for a new GPS.

If I need to buy a new GPS, I want to find out what others think about the eTresx Vista HCx.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I think I will try the adpater that Coggins recommended, since it does say that it is Vista compatible. I had earlier thought about adding a serial port to the computer, but I also want to use it on my Vista laptop that does not have a way to add a serial port.

It would probably be a great idea to get a new Vista HCx because it is so much more useful than a Legend with a serial port. The signal is so much stronger that it can easily keep a lock even in city canyons or very heavy tree cover. There are many Pro's for the HCx and the only 'con' I can think of is that there is some sort of a bug which may or may not be fixed in the future with a firmware update which means that it does not register speeds below 2 KPH. For most people this is not a big deal at all, but there are some people who need this info.

The pro's are, fantastic battery life, unlimited memory, compact, very bright screen, and excellent button layout. The button layout is a personal preference and compared with a 60CSx it can be called neither a pro or a con, it's just different. Having said that though I think the buttons on the HCx are much better but others disagree.