Need some advice for a GPS for my car...

ILBandit

I was thinking of getting a little non-handheld GPS system for my car. I have the 60csx, but was wanting something to just run in the car only.

I have been looking at the Magellan Maestro 3100 , it seems like a pretty nice unit, for a decant price. A friend of mine has one, & says it works great.

I have looked at the Tom Toms. They seem like nice units, but are a little more pricey, with alot of extra stuff that I probably wouldn't use.

Do any of you have any suggestions for a good unit to run? IS the 3100 one of the best for the $$. Or do you know of something that is a better value?

I'm not interested in any of the MP3, bluetooth, traffic, etc. stuff. Don't need any of the fancy bells and whistles. I just want one that has up to date maps, and great routing capabilities. That will get me from point A to B with the most accuracy.

Any suggestions?????

Only talking from reviews but seems a lot of people are fairly happy with the Mio's and they look like they're priced a little lower for the feature set. Plus I think most have the SirfStarIII chipset so reception should be very good. Personally I'm very happy with my 60 CSx in the car. Guess I've never had the fancy voice prompts so the little beeps are fine.

Trooper.

Only talking from reviews but seems a lot of people are fairly happy with the Mio's and they look like they're priced a little lower for the feature set. Plus I think most have the SirfStarIII chipset so reception should be very good. Personally I'm very happy with my 60 CSx in the car. Guess I've never had the fancy voice prompts so the little beeps are fine.

Trooper.

I've never seen those before, thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

I noticed it mentions having even the country road included. That is something I want to make sure the unit I buy has, It must have an up to date map of even the small country / gravel roads if possible.

Edited by ILBandit

Just got a Mio Digiwalker for my mom as an early Holiday present and her first GPS.

Looks like it has excellent reception and (haven't really tried it fully) that is has a biking/walking mode which I'm curious about. I wonder if it can be used for caching and/or navigate to a lat/long waypoint instead of an address (something my Lowrance iWay 100M for the car can do but is usually difficult for most "car" units).

Do any of you have any suggestions for a good unit to run? IS the 3100 one of the best for the $$. Or do you know of something that is a better value?

Don't get the Magellan 3100. It only has 750K POIs. There will be too many places missing.

If you don't mind a complex device, the Mio C220 is a good deal. Otherwise, check out the Garmin nuvi 200. Here's a great deal I posted this a.m.

Thanks for the tips,

Can anyone tell me how the TomTom 1's fit into the picture compared to the above mentioned?

I have been reading up on them also, and they look pretty nice also.

Are they in the same ballpark for quality?

I have 2 TOMTOM's 1 in my palmT3 which I don't use anymore and a TOMTOM GO and am very happy with it. for geocaching I have a Garmin 60CSX and love it.

Thanks for the tips,

Can anyone tell me how the TomTom 1's fit into the picture compared to the above mentioned?

I have been reading up on them also, and they look pretty nice also.

Are they in the same ballpark for quality?

I have the TomTom 1 and they compare very well against all the others that have been mentioned. Check out this site http://www.gpsreview.net

very good and in depth reviews and you can compare all of these different car units.

RA

How can anyone say no to the Nuvi650 at Costco for $299

How about Wally World's one day online Turkey Day sale? Snagged a Nuvi 650 for $285 thanks to GPS Tracklog for the heads up!!!

Thanks for that tip. I'm waiting for the Nuvi750 to come down in price (it MSRP's the same as 650). I will then return the 650 or give that one to my sister and return the 250. I just wish there was a model with 750 features without the MP3. I don't want that.

Edited by Lknot