Etrex comms with PC

55bbug

Hi all

I'm having trouble downloading waypoints from Geocache to my Etrex h

My PC will communicate with it. I've downloaded the latest software version from Garmin. I can send waypoints to GSAK then from there send them to my unit.

But... When I try to send them direct from Geocaching, a pop-up appears with "Looking for connected devices, shortly followed by:-Windows Error Code: 21 The device is not ready. Path: F:\Garmin/gpx/myData.gpx.

My Etrex is listed in the connected devices, but when I select it from the list, I still get the same message.

What am I doing wrong, Please? I guess I need to change the settings on my PC but I don't know which.

Thanks in advance

55Bbug

Hmmmm . . . well, I think the "Send to GPS" button works with FireFox, but I'm not sure. I've never used it because it doesn't work with Opera, which is the browser I use.

I download the .gpx file (Premiujm Member feature), open it in GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) (great database program), then use the right-click menu in GSAK to "Send to GPSr now." Takes maybe 15 seconds longer . . . :ph34r:

Perhaps someone who uses Firefox can help . . .

Miragee said:-

I download the .gpx file (Premiujm Member feature), open it in GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) (great database program), then use the right-click menu in GSAK to "Send to GPSr now." Takes maybe 15 seconds longer . . . :ph34r:

Thanks for the replies.

I've been doing it this way. The trouble is that when I try to, similarly named caches eg Zodiac series - capricorn, Zodiac series - cancer etc (there are 12 of them) it gives them the same label on my handset, then overwrites the coordinates.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that great a problem, I can enter the coordinates by hand. It's just a bit annoying.

Lu

Are you using EasyGPS or GSAK to send the waypoints to your GPSr?

How are you downloading the waypoints for that series?

It has been a long time since I downloaded the .loc files, whether from an individual cache page, or from the Search Results page. However, if I remember, the files are downloaded as '*.loc'. Before downloading them to your harddrive, change the name of that file to 'Zodiac1.loc', 'Zodiac2.loc', 'Zodiac3.loc', etc. Or, 'Page1.loc', 'Page2.loc', etc.

Premium Membership, for only $3.00 a month, and Pocket Queries, is looking so much easier as I try to remember how I used to do this . . . :ph34r::laughing:

Miragee said:-

Thanks for the replies.

I've been doing it this way. The trouble is that when I try to, similarly named caches eg Zodiac series - capricorn, Zodiac series - cancer etc (there are 12 of them) it gives them the same label on my handset, then overwrites the coordinates.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that great a problem, I can enter the coordinates by hand. It's just a bit annoying.

Lu

It sounds like your problem is the "6 Character MAX" problem. If the waypoint name is a 7 character name, then the last character is truncated, and would overwrite any other one with the same first 6 characters. To solve this you could rename a waypoint to a shorter name such as dropping the GC then the next download would not overwrite it. Of course you should probably get in the habit of renaming any truncated waypoint, so you dont have any more issues like this.

Good Luck