Vista hcx mapping issues

indycam

I recently purchased an etrex vista hcx to compliment my street pilot. I have noticed while hiking close to roads the vista puts me on the wrong side of the road usually by 200 - 500 ft. While geocaching the vista has been dead on accurate, so it seems to be the basemap. Any ideas? I also have loaded Topo 2008.

Welcome to the Forums! :santa:

Do you have "Lock on Roads" set?

Actually I have lock on roads set to off. I went on a hike today found a geocache - the location was perfect. When I got home I loaded the track onto mapsource on the computer and after reviewing I noticed that it showed me crossing a road that I wasn't even close too. Later in the hike it showed me on the wrong side of a road by at least 200 ft.

Welcome to the Forums! :blink:

Do you have "Lock on Roads" set?

Actually I have lock on roads set to off. I went on a hike today found a geocache - the location was perfect. When I got home I loaded the track onto mapsource on the computer and after reviewing I noticed that it showed me crossing a road that I wasn't even close too. Later in the hike it showed me on the wrong side of a road by at least 200 ft.

If you only have the basemap (no other map products installed), it has a very coarse resolution, so errors like this are common (although 200 ft does seem extreme).

the basemap is only good to the nearest couple hundred feet. that is what the big circle is on the map. if you are on the road, and the road is inside the circle, then it's within accuracy.

the topo or metroguide ect will probably help alot.

is this a highway you're standing on? I thought only major highways were on the basemap.

opps I just saw you had topo. (even though you said basemap..) so then your accuracy is based on the topo. which should definatly be less then a couple hundred feet. the circle will still be there, just alot smaller.

Edited by Smac999