60 CSx Compass problem

Huskydriver

Funny one here

Out looking for a cashe today and the arrow on my compass would always point toward my body no matter which way I was walking or facing. It was only the arrow that seemed to be affacted. Everything else seemed to be working fine.

Tried everything to fix it and nothing worked. (Thought, great, now I have to send this brand new unit into get it fixed.) Everything worked fine yesturday, so what was I doing different? I had the Nikon d200 with me, was that the problem? Took it back to the truck and set off again. Nope, still had the arrow facing me no matter what. Then it finally dawns on me (not the smartest sometmes) It was a cold morning and I had on a pair of the kind of gloves that have the fingers cut off and a mitten flap that can cover the open fingers or be pulled back, exposing the fingers so you can work on things. When the mitten flap is open it is held in place by a couple of apparently very strong magnets. After I took the gloves off and stowed them in a back pocket the unit worked fine. Took me awhile to figure it out but I finally did. Glad nobody was around at the time to see my embarrassement. Kinda funny now

Greg

Edited by Huskydriver

Ha! Glad you "fixed" your 60CSx.

I used to have a cell phone case that had a magnetic fastner. On a business trip I checked into a hotel and got my room's key card. I walked to the room to find the key card didn't work. Went back to the desk and got the key reprogrammed. Walked back to the room to find it didn't work again!! It wasn't until I was walking back to the front desk for the second time that I realized I'd put the key card in the same pocket as my cell phone case - and the magnet was wiping out the card. Sigh.

Enjoy your new GPS! Don't forget to buy a screen protector from http://www.shieldzone.com - mine saved me from a major scratch already when I put an extra memory card loose inside the case. Whew!

Edited by kenk

I have a Dog Training system with an electronic dog collar, for my dog, and a hand held remote. I have the dog trained so when I press a button on the remote it vibrates her collar and she comes back to me. The remote uses a magnet to turn on and off the collar when you line up dots on each.

Advantage collar, no external switch contacts make it waterproof, disadvantage compass!