Opinions on eTrex Legend

Hey there - first post :)

I'm shopping for a GPSr for geocaching and have been considering the eTrex Legend. It's in the right price range and seems to be durable and portable enough. I'd also like to use it occasionally in the car as a secondary use. Does anyone have any opinions on this unit for a first timer?

One thing I'm unsure of is the memory. It's listed at 8mb for waypoints and user data, but comes fully loaded with basemaps. If I understand that correctly, most of the surface maps are available without using the 8mb of internal memory. Would any updates also go to that memory outside of the 8mb? I would guess that the MapSource updates would load into the 8mb - is that pretty much correct?

I've also looked at the GPS60 model. It's more expensive, non-mapping, with only 1mb of memory, however it has the quad-helix antenna, and a "geocaching mode". What does that mode mean exactly, as is it of any real value?

Thanks!

I've got a Legend and a 60CSx. The base map on the Legend is very basic - Interstates, major highways, major streets.

I'm not sure how the 8MB is divided, but the number of waypoints, tracks, etc., don't take up much memory. You can load maps from Mapsource programs, but you have to be very choosy - that 8MB disappears quickly. That said, I used it for about 2 years for geocaching. I'd just load the map tile(s) of the immediate vicinity of the area I would be in. It takes a lot longer to upload/download data, too, given the old-school serial interface.

I don't specifically use the "geocaching" mode on the 60 CSx. I know waypoints downloaded from this web site with the GC prefix come up with the treasure chest icon, and I can change it when I find one, but that's about all I do...

The Legend goes for about $150 or so, right? For $70 more, you can get an ETrex Vista HCx (I think that's right) on sale at REI...

I still have my trusty Legend after about 8 yrs and you can't go wrong especially at that price! You can do many things with this solid little mapping unit. You can grab a copy of US Topo for a good price to upgrade the rather poor base map. I say go for it. You can always step up to a better unit, and as JSWilson64 said, "Nothing like using a Legend or Gecko to hone your "cache sense." :-)".

I decided to go with the Venture HC after looking at the features and pricing. Unfortunately, no one in my area stocks them, and I wanted something to use right away as I'm going on vacation this week and want to find some out of state caches :(

I decided to get the Legend at $124, with plans to either pass this on to my nephew or take it back when I'm ready to mail-order the Venture. Your comments were dead on about the visibility on the Legend, it's not at all suitable for in car use unless you want to risk driving off the road. I downloaded the Topo maps to it and that helped a lot by adding addtional roads, but does nothing for the difficulty in reading it while driving.

However I was able to use it to find my first and second caches today :) It did loose signal under light tree cover, especially considering most of the trees were bare. However I was able to find them by walking in a square pattern around the target area at a range of around 60' and triangulate where it was pointing. I had a great time on my first day out and look forward to many more!