Data Fields on Vista HCx map

shunra

I got my new Vista HCx yesterday, and like it a lot. I am getting used to the button placement already.

I find that the smaller screen shows a lot of detail, even though at 2.21 square inches, it is significantly smaller than the screen of the 76S that I had before (3.52 square inches).

I find, however, that much of the screen that could be used by the map is used by data fields. In the 76S, I was able to reduce the size of the data fields, so they would take up less real estate. In the Vista HCx, I have not found that possibility. While it is possible to decrease the size of text on the map, from large to barely legible, I have not found a way to reduce the size of the text in the data fields, which is ridiculously large. Since I can put no more than 2 fields in a row, in order to see 3 fields, I need 2 big roads, which together cover half of the map area. In the 76S, I could put three data fields in a single row, make them very small, and keep most of the large screen for mapping.

It gets even worse when using autorouting, something the 76S could not do. When I use that feature on the Vista, an additional data field row is created.

Oh, I already checked for firmware upgrades, and I have the latest, of 26 September 2007.

So my question is: Did I miss something, and is it possible to reduce the size of the data fields, the size of the text inside the data fields, or increase the number of fields in a row?

If not, what are the settings you like to use when geocaching? I figure I want to continue to see the distance to my destination, I figure I could do away with the bearing arrow by switching from North-up to Track-up, and if I want to limit the impact on the screen, I'd have one data field left for speed or accuracy or something else - bits of information I have always liked to see on my map screen.

On the other hand, the HCx has a "declutter" setting, which sounds like just what I need - but what does it do?

I've been using Etrex' and Map60s for 3-4 years now and have not seen the ability to reduce the size of the data fields. I just take them out completey and use the compass page for whatever data field I may need at the time. Guidance Text is on by default, but you can disengage it also; it is the top line that tells you what street is coming up. Hit menu in the map page to disengage it.

Declutter is an option to un-display POI's and street names. This is helpful when you are auto-routing so you can better see the turns you need to take. A good thing is it does not affect your waypoint icons. The bad thing is your customized POIs do get taked out during declutter mode.

I've been using Etrex' and Map60s for 3-4 years now and have not seen the ability to reduce the size of the data fields. I just take them out completey and use the compass page for whatever data field I may need at the time. Guidance Text is on by default, but you can disengage it also; it is the top line that tells you what street is coming up. Hit menu in the map page to disengage it.

Declutter is an option to un-display POI's and street names. This is helpful when you are auto-routing so you can better see the turns you need to take. A good thing is it does not affect your waypoint icons. The bad thing is your customized POIs do get taked out during declutter mode.

That's very unfortunate, that one cannot reduce the size of those fields. Yesterday I tried to hunt a first cache with the new unit, and was horrified that an ADDITIONAL text banner was written across the screen, telling me where I was going to, as if I didn't know. Can one at least disable THAT? Not being able to see the map while looking for a cache was so frustrating that I gave up on the cache.

I think I'll switch to doing it your way, then: I'll disable all data fields, will stop using the map when trying to get to a cache, and use the compass page as of now. That will require some rethinking.

Still, if anyone has suggestions how I can minimize the loss of map real estate to data fields, please let me know!

I'll disable all data fields, will stop using the map when trying to get to a cache, and use the compass page as of now. That will require some rethinking.

Still, if anyone has suggestions how I can minimize the loss of map real estate to data fields, please let me know!

Now that's a bit drastic!

My data fields are turned off, as well as guidance text, but the GPS will still auto-route to the cache coords. When a turn comes up, the GPS zooms in to about 200 feet and displays the turn and name of the street. As soon as you complete the turn, it goes back to regular tracking. When I make the last turn, I go to off-road mode. I think the default is to always route by roads, but you can set up the Etrex to prompt you to go to off-road mode when you recalculate the route manually. I think it's menu-menu-setup-routing, then change the defaults.