Google Earth KML is not functional since 10/26/2007

Fallen Russian

Hi,

'm experiencing steady trouble on Google Earth startup, when the geocaches are loaded from the KML file.

Basically I get messages like that:

96e32c9b-f70c-45a7-b6f3-1fa23083cba2.jpg

which means "Error during analysis in row XX, column YY. Junk after blabla, would you like to ignore, stop or retry"

No geocache locations are shown then.

The content of my KML file is the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.1">

<NetworkLink>

<open>1</open>

<name>Geocaching Network KML</name>

<description>Geocaching.com Caches located in the view window of Google Earth.</description>

<open>1</open>

<visibility>1</visibility>

<refreshVisibility>0</refreshVisibility>

<Url>

<href>http://www.geocaching.com/kml/kml.aspx?key=V1TG81V47him32B3kH8oE6jhnL3ySJxVhciVDlNgZHtWgExswb9cg%2b%2fg1%2fuuv4iy6ds3y6aqqS8RN11s9ipqtg%3d%3d&</href>

<viewRefreshTime>3</viewRefreshTime>

<viewRefreshMode>onStop</viewRefreshMode>

</Url>

</NetworkLink></kml>

I tried to uninstall Google Earth and remove all data in the Registry and Application data without success, so I'm ptretty sure the error is located not in Google Earth but in the KML on geocaching.com site.

I'm, using Windows XP with Googe Earth 4.0 (but tried it with 4.2 as well w/o success). And finally I'd like to mention, that it used to work until yesterday :D

Would you mind helping me on this issue?

Thank you very much,

Fallen Russian

Second report of this today. You have the same invalid trailing entity that was reported in http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=175240

This is a site problem. Tinkering with Earth will get you nowhere.

Edited by robertlipe

This is a site problem. Tinkering with Earth will get you nowhere.

Yeah, I agree. I gave up on this subject, will use the google maps search plugin on the site instead. :D

You shouldn't give up so soon. This problem should have been fixed last evening, unless you're still having a problem? If so please let me know here. Sorry for the inconvenience everyone.

I have just started receiving the message that I have exceeded the allowable views for the day, please try again tomorrow? Never seen this before, is this something built into the Google Earth program or is it with GC.com?

That has always existed. You are limited to how much you can use it in a day. (Assuming you had been using it for a while before see that message).

The refresh throttling is from Geocaching.com - that limit does not come from Earth.

So upgrading to the Plus version of Google Earth won't allow me more refreshes in a day then for viewing the cache place-marks? I just never seen this before and was curious, I do a lot of Google use when planing a days caching and never hit this "limit" before and just to make sure I am correct; this comes from GC.com and it is each time I pan the map and reload the caches that count towards this limit?

And thanks for the prior info.

The refresh throttling is from Geocaching.com - that limit does not come from Earth.

So upgrading to the Plus version of Google Earth won't allow me more refreshes in a day then for viewing the cache place-marks? I just never seen this before and was curious, I do a lot of Google use when planing a days caching and never hit this "limit" before and just to make sure I am correct; this comes from GC.com and it is each time I pan the map and reload the caches that count towards this limit?

And thanks for the prior info.

Upgrading to Google Earth Plus won't make any difference, since it's GC.com that imposes the limit.

To help with this limitation, you need to change when Google Earth refreshes the information it gets from GC.com. Normally, the KML fetches new data from GC.com whenever you zoom in or out or pan around the screen. Every change in screen view counts as a refresh, and you can run out of refreshes pretty quickly if you change the view a lot. To change this behavior to something more manageable:

1. Open Google Earth.
  2. Right-click on the "Geocaching Network KML" entry and select "Properties".
  3. Go to the "Refresh" tab.
  4. In the "View-based refresh" section, set "When" to "On Request".
  5. Close this dialog box.

Using this setup, whenever you want fresh data from GC.com, just right-click on the "Geocaching Network KML" entry and select "Refresh". I use this approach, and I never exceed the limit any more (not counting the occasional glitch at GC.com).

Hope this helps!

--Larry

Edit to add: I have Google Earth Plus and I'm referring to what I see in this version of the software; it might look slightly different in the free version, but I think they're the same in this respect.

Edited by larryc43230

Upgrading to Google Earth Plus won't make any difference, since it's GC.com that imposes the limit.

To help with this limitation, you need to change when Google Earth refreshes the information it gets from GC.com. Normally, the KML fetches new data from GC.com whenever you zoom in or out or pan around the screen. Every change in screen view counts as a refresh, and you can run out of refreshes pretty quickly if you change the view a lot. To change this behavior to something more manageable:

1. Open Google Earth.
  2. Right-click on the "Geocaching Network KML" entry and select "Properties".
  3. Go to the "Refresh" tab.
  4. In the "View-based refresh" section, set "When" to "On Request".
  5. Close this dialog box.

Using this setup, whenever you want fresh data from GC.com, just right-click on the "Geocaching Network KML" entry and select "Refresh". I use this approach, and I never exceed the limit any more (not counting the occasional glitch at GC.com).

Hope this helps!

--Larry

Edit to add: I have Google Earth Plus and I'm referring to what I see in this version of the software; it might look slightly different in the free version, but I think they're the same in this respect.

Yes the free version has the same option tabs and I have changed mine over. Thanks, I will see if this works better tomorrow when I can use it again, never ran into this wall before, just thought it was odd.

Sorry for hijacking the OP's thread for a few posts, but maybe this will help others?

Back to your originally scheduled KML solutions :D