Garmin Vista HCx Backlight

DT3K

I just got my Garmin Vista HCx and set the display to 5%, but when I switch off and switch back on again the backlight doesn't come on - I have to press the power key to increase it again. Display in setup is still set though. Anyone else experienced this?

But it does work. Press the power button twice and you get your preset level. Press it a third time and you get 100%. It's a battery saving feature to turn it off when you're not looking at it. And since it can't tell when you're looking or not, you can tell it how long to hold the backlight on. That's right above the backlight setting on the display setup page; you can even tell it to stay on. Trust me, you don't want the backlight on all the time.

OK thanks...misunderstood. I thought once you set it up in setup/display it would come on when you press any key.

But it does work. Press the power button twice and you get your preset level. Press it a third time and you get 100%. It's a battery saving feature to turn it off when you're not looking at it. And since it can't tell when you're looking or not, you can tell it how long to hold the backlight on. That's right above the backlight setting on the display setup page; you can even tell it to stay on. Trust me, you don't want the backlight on all the time.

yes, isnt there an option for it to always be on in the settings

it has like 4 intervals, 5sec, 10 sec, 15sec, 30sec and then its "always on"

that will definitely kill your battery a bit quicker at always on

but after that 5, 10, 15 or 30 second interval passes, and the backlight turns off, what will turn it on again? Do I have to to press the power button again to turn it on, or would any button reactivate the backlight for the duration of that preset period?