'Send to GPS' Issues - Garmin Etrex Vista (Ver. 3.70)

Zany Z's

Was just curious if anyone has been able to connect their Garmin Etrex Vista, so that they can use the "Send to GPS" feature on geocaching.com? I purchased a 9-pin serial to USB adapter cable to try and make it work. I was able to update my GPSr to the current version (3.70) which tells me the computer and GPSr are communicating nicely; but all I keep getting are "Windows Error Code: 21" prompts when I try to download waypoints. I select [etrex Vista (COM2)] from the pull down. I've downloaded the current Garmin Communicator from their website as well. If anyone has any secret operation that I'm missing and would like to share, that would be most appreciated! Thanks!

From thelooks ofyour avatar photo, you have a Grayscale Vista which normally uses a serial cable.

From your post I get that you have purchased a serial to USB adapter and you now have the Vista plugged into your computer's USB port. If so you do not want to choose COM2. You will want to choose USB.

If I've got it all wrong it is because it is late and I need some sleep.

From your post I get that you have purchased a serial to USB adapter and you now have the Vista plugged into your computer's USB port. If so you do not want to choose COM2. You will want to choose USB.

If I've got it all wrong it is because it is late and I need some sleep.

Um..I think you need some sleep. The USB/Serial adapter emulates a COM port over the USB.

With respect to the original problem, Garmin has stated that the Communicator Plug-in may or may not work over a serial connection, and they will not provide any customer support for it. The plug-in was designed for USB and you'd be lucky if it did work.

Your best bet would be to not use Communicator and download the geocaches into MapSource or one of the other programs others use (GSAK, etc. - I don't use them so I can't help you with that). Your connection with the GPS works, just not with Communicator.

Wow, Duh. I've been using GSAK for about a month now and that never occured to me to try and use that. :) It worked GREAT! Sheeeeze, thanks for the extra help you two! :)

I've got it the other way around. My etrex vista works with the website, but not GSAK. I too use the serial/USB adapter. How do you have the GPS setup in GSAK? Thanks! :lol: