Listngs on Opencaching.de and Geocaching.com

joedundee

Has anyone else had the problem of going out to find a cache as the first to find only to find out that someone else was already there because the cache has already been listed under opencaching.de? I left 30 minutes after a cache was published on Geocaching.com only to find out that another had seen the listing on opencaching.de TWO days prior to the GC posting. So, who gets the first to find? The OC guy because his is the first log in the book, or both, him by OC and me by GC? What do you think? How do the stat trackers even know that someone is the FTF?

Sounds like the same issue as "event" FTFs are being logged prior to being made public on geocaching.com.

I am pretty new to this, but am of the opinion that nothing counts on GC until made public on GC.

(And in response to those who claim that the stats mean nothing: if it means nothing, then don't log your finds)

Edited by Fogtripper

So, who gets the first to find?

The first person to sign the log book is the first to find.

How do the stat trackers even know that someone is the FTF?

First to find is not a statistic carried in a database on GC.com. So any stat trackers that make use of data being fed from GC.com gpx files can't know anything about FTF stats, unless users are injecting their own stats by hand somewhere in the process.

So, who gets the first to find?

I would think that goes to the first person to find the cache.

You're just being goofy now. I think we need to have at least a dozen different types of FTFers:

- first to write their name in the book

- first to log online

- first to log from another site

- first to log from gc.com

- first to log pre publication

- first to log post publication

- blah, blah, blah

On second thought, maybe first to find really means first to find.

This used to happen all the time here where navicache.com used to be more popular. People would list there, wait for the FTF to post, then list on gc.com. There is only one FTF.

Has anyone else had the problem of going out to find a cache as the first to find only to find out that someone else was already there because the cache has already been listed under opencaching.de? I left 30 minutes after a cache was published on Geocaching.com only to find out that another had seen the listing on opencaching.de TWO days prior to the GC posting. So, who gets the first to find? The OC guy because his is the first log in the book, or both, him by OC and me by GC? What do you think? How do the stat trackers even know that someone is the FTF?

What if the first to sign the physical log DOES NOT log online?

Anywhere.

So then, are most of you saying that if you want to attempt a first to find that you should have to check multiple cache listings to see if someone logged it on another website? It sort of cuts down on the advantage of being a premium member to get the latest published caches in the area.

It still seems a bit funny to me to be the first to find on geocaching.com when it is logged before the cache is even made public there. I guess we could chuck it up to psychic geocachers. ;)

Edited by joedundee

Just remember, although GC.com is the big fish in the pond, it not the only fish. And how about the users of the other listing sites, if it's listed here first, what about their FTF race?

The "FTF race" is game within a game - if you can't deal with an occasional miss, maybe you shouldn't be playing. I've done a lot of it myself, but it's not worth stressing over. Have fun and enjoy the FTF when it's yours.