Navigating the screens in CacheMate

b@t

A couple of months ago I quit using Mobi Reader and purchased Cachemate (not really by choice, but out of necessity - loss of support of ebooks)

Everytime I use Cachemate, I get a little frustrated with a couple of features. I was wondering if there are any workarounds.

I use the 'search' feature quite a bit, usually searching for nearest to given coordinates. The frustration is that once I 'go to' a cache in Cachemate, reading the details, it is then quite cumbersome to get back to the sorted list of nearest caches. When I click - done - I get taken back to the entire database and it is sorted alphabetically. Then I can do a Search-Last Search to get back to my list of nearest caches, but this is a couple of extra keystrokes. (Yes I know I am spoiled, and I expect a lot, and blah blah blah.)

It's also cumbersome to be searching though the Nearest Cache list, and having to make sure the FOCUS (i.e the selected entry) is really chosen and highlighted. I use a Treo650, and the rocker switch/selection button combination is not that intuitive. I find myself often going back and forth between the List of Nearest Caches, then selecting the wrong one, then ending up going to the Unfiled list of all caches, then having to go back to the Search-Last search screen.

Sometimes it feel like I am Alice in Wonderland trying to have a conversation with the Red Queen.

Is it just me, or are there some features of this CacheMate that are just plain clunky?

From the beginning, I have used Cachemate and find it to be very easy to use. The one time I used MobiPocket on a friend's PDA I thought it was extremely clunky . . . :unsure:

In Cachemate, if I want to look up a cache, I just search for it by Name, or by Waypoint. On my GPSr, I look at the name of the nearest cache and then look it up in Cachemate, using the Grafitti portion of the Palm to quickly get to the first letter of the cache name.

I send the waypoints to my GPSr from GSAK using the "smart name" codes so I can see the beginning of the name at the beginning of the Waypoint. In GSAK, this is the code I use for the Waypoint name:

%smart=6 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

Edit for typo . . . :o

Edited by Miragee

I haven't noticed Grafitti on the palm, I have the palm IIIxe, where is this feature or is it another download?

SigsPig

It's not a download; it's a basic part of the Palm.

I have the IIIxe also. When you flip up the lid, the graffiti alphabet is on a sticker on the inside of the lid. To use it, you just "write" in the big rectangular input box right below the screen (the one with "abc" and "123" in the lower corners).