Autorouting (turn by turn) help

I recently bought the 60CSx and the Mapsource V8 disc. I loaded it into the computer and everythign seems to work fine... I can click 2 points and it will autoroute to the destination.

However, when I send the route to the GPS, it onlt shows a straight line route. I have fiddled with this thing for hours trying to make it show the route as it follows the road (as shown on the computer) with no luck. I also tried to search for help on the forum, but there are so many threads and posts that I couldn't find anything.

This mapping software is all new to me. Anyone able to help?

Thanks,

Matt

I recently bought the 60CSx and the Mapsource V8 disc. I loaded it into the computer and everythign seems to work fine... I can click 2 points and it will autoroute to the destination.

However, when I send the route to the GPS, it onlt shows a straight line route. I have fiddled with this thing for hours trying to make it show the route as it follows the road (as shown on the computer) with no luck. I also tried to search for help on the forum, but there are so many threads and posts that I couldn't find anything.

This mapping software is all new to me. Anyone able to help?

Thanks,

Matt

Did you turn on the Follow Road option?

What Map product V8 is being used? MapSource is the map, route and tracks management program.

As asked, did you transfer the maps to the GPS? Also, MetroGuide maps do not have the routing data included when transferred to the unit, so while routes can be created on the PC they cannot be calculated on auto routing units such as the 60CSx

I'm using the MetroGuide North America V8.

Yes, I uploaded the maps to the GPSr, at least the San Diego area that I am experimenting with.

Follow Road option? I have been through the owner's manual for the GPSr and well as the help guide for the software, and I cannot find this anywhere. Nor can I find a page on the GPSr that says "Turn Preview Page".

I see something that talks about "Vias", but I can't imagine one would have to add a bunch of intermediate points just to make the turn by turn thing work. That would kinda defeat the handiness of the feature.

Matt

Okay, I was able to turn on the "follow road" option.

But, the route shown now is totally wacky. I made a route about a mile long with 3 to 4 turns in my neighborhood. The route, as it shows on the GPSr, heads the oposite direction for a few miles, then button hooks back to the destination.

Looks like I am zeroing in on making this work, but need advice from here.

Matt

Well, after visiting the ink to the "do more than it was designed to do" stuff, I am sure that crap is over my head.

That said, should I buy City Navigator and will this program autoroute correctly for me?

Thanks everyone for your assistance,

Matt

It's really not that hard! Go to www.geodude.nl/gps (if that doesn't work, google for "metrowizzz") and download his free autorouting wizard. You can pay $6.00 for a "gold" program but it's not necessary. The only differences are the size of the mapset you can upload (1 vs 4 GB), and without it you'll have to run the wizard every time you upload maps, with it you can just do it from Mapsource (so the author says).

Anyway, I did it (the free version) with Metroguide v.7, and my 60CSx now autoroutes like a charm. Just follow the step-by-step instructions on the web site or in the wizard. Just make sure you back up everything on your GPS first (use Mapsource to download all waypoints, tracks, etc.) just in case... And there's a new version, dated 10/26/07, too.

I've heard that the maps and POI details are pretty much the same between Metroguide and City Select/Navigator, but I can't attest to that one way or the other.

It works exactly as Matt said, and was VERY easy for me.

I picked up a copy of Metroguide v7 on ebay for $30 shipped, paid $6 for Metrogold, and the turn by turn function works great on my Vista HCx. It's almost as good as my Magellan Crossover, but of course the HCx doesn't announce upcoming street names, etc, like the Crossover, so is not quite as good as a dedicated car unit [but it's WAY better than the Crossover out of the car!].

I think the Metroguide maps [which include POIs, etc] overlay my Garmin Topo maps, but am not quite sure. What I DO know is that I can do a batch upload of caches to the HCx using the premium membership features at geocaching.com. So now I can get turn by turn directions to a cache from my home, or if I happen to see a cache coming along a route I'm on, I can select it, and get turn by turn right to the cache. It's cool, and exactly what I was wanting. Only downside is that the maps are a bit older than City Nav, but that's not a big deal to me. Upside is that it's cheaper than City Nav, and you don't have to mess with the all the unlock drama.

Count me satisfied! :)