Firewall problems

Cache'n'Carey

For the past two days I have been unable to access specific cache pages because my firewall says that gc.com is attempting an attack on my computer, and it blocks all access for four hours. I am using NIS2006, and have attempted with both IE7 and Firefox2.0.0.7, and the problem occurs no matter which cache page I attempt to access (after waiting another four hours between attempts). I can access the main page, the problem only occurs when I attempt to view a specific cache page. I finally had to temporarily turn off my firewall so I could access some information today.

I was really hoping to see that others were having the same problem, but a search of the forum didn't show anything. Is anyone using NIS firewall and NOT having a problem? I'm trying to narrow down where my problem is.

Yup, works fine when the firewall is disabled. And I've never had a problem accessing any of the older cache pages before...thousands. So it's either something new with gc.com, or maybe something that changed in NIS when it downloaded the new definitions. The only thing I can think of that changed right before this happened is the windows auto updater ran the night before, but I'm not using the windows firewall; it is disabled so I can use the NIS firewall, so I wouldn't "think" that would cause the problem, and I am getting the error message from NIS.

:laughing:

I got the same problem

here are som data from the firewall

Attempted Intrusion "HTTP MS IE Object Element Data DoS" against your machine was detected and blocked.

Intruder: www.geocaching.com(66.150.167.149)(http(80)).

Risk Level: Medium.

Protocol: TCP.

Attacked IP: localhost.

Attacked Port: 1457.

Might depend on which firewall you are using, but I resolved my problem by upgrading to the latest version of NIS.

It actually worked out well for me - while troubleshooting via Norton/Symantec site, they informed me that because I had an active a/v subscription, I could upgrade to NIS 2008 FOR FREE! The only reason I was still using NIS 2006 is because I refuse to pay to upgrade to the latest version every year when they send out the teaser e-mails...I usually do it every 3 years or so.

Wonder how many people actually purchase the upgrade every year. IDK, something strange about the whole thing.

Anyway, after upgrading to the current version I no longer had a problem. Makes me wonder if they had some kind of glitch in that last download/update to the 2006 version.

FWIW Michael - geocaching.com has always been on my white list. It was a freak problem that just popped up one morning.

Would love to add www.geocaching.com to my firewalls whitelist but this is my companys PC and the FW is controlled by administrators only....

Have tried Firefox as well but same problem...

I had no problems in september before the latest changes....

Frank

Edited by the strandums

I use CA ISS2 Firewall and have always had to have it part of the white list to operate fine - which it does.

(The MS Win AutoUpdater is essential but several times in the last couple of years my next day troubles have tracked to the autoupdate. Generally what has happened is that MS has closed a loophole that legit software I was using exploited. MS - fairly - commented that if a 3rd party doesnt play ball properly they can hardly be held accountable. Now with Vista this is far less likely to happen - well we hope so.)