Garmin 60CSx compass problem

Steve223

I have recently purchased a Garmin 60CSx and I have a problem with the compass. My problem is the needle doesn't show up on the display regardless of menu configuration. Its as if it simply doesn't exist, all I see is a small red circle in the center of the compass dial, when the unit is set to use the bearing pointer. The needle will display when using the sight and go option but that's it. If anyone has a solution for this problem that they could please pass along I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Welcome to the Forums! :)

A friend who has one of those models has that problem . . . but it isn't as consistent. His unit will have the compass pointer . . . and then it will go away. I believe he has to shut off the GPSr for the pointer to come back. I believe Garmin is aware of the problem and think new firmware might, or might not, fix it.

What software version is on your GPSr?

A friend who has one of those models has that problem . . . but it isn't as consistent. His unit will have the compass pointer . . . and then it will go away. I believe he has to shut off the GPSr for the pointer to come back. I believe Garmin is aware of the problem and think new firmware might, or might not, fix it.

Thanks for the friendly welcome Miragee I forgot to say hello and introduce myself. Hello, my name is Steve and I'm from Western North Carolina I'm glad to be here and I'm a little new to all of this but I'm sure I'll figure it out, or at least I hope I will. I found my first geocache yesterday but forgot to take a pen along to sign the logbook. In regards to the software version you asked about my unit is running 4.00. Since I originally posted earlier, I've found that the needle will appear when the unit is in routing mode. I'm not certain why it doesn't appear when it's not in that mode maybe it isn't suppose to.

Thanks for the friendly welcome Miragee I forgot to say hello and introduce myself. Hello, my name is Steve and I'm from Western North Carolina I'm glad to be here and I'm a little new to all of this but I'm sure I'll figure it out, or at least I hope I will. I found my first geocache yesterday but forgot to take a pen along to sign the logbook. In regards to the software version you asked about my unit is running 4.00. Since I originally posted earlier, I've found that the needle will appear when the unit is in routing mode. I'm not certain why it doesn't appear when it's not in that mode maybe it isn't suppose to.

Hi Steve, it won't show up unless you are routing to something because there is nothing to point at. So your GPS is just fine! :P

I have recently purchased a Garmin 60CSx and I have a problem with the compass. My problem is the needle doesn't show up on the display regardless of menu configuration. Its as if it simply doesn't exist, all I see is a small red circle in the center of the compass dial, when the unit is set to use the bearing pointer. The needle will display when using the sight and go option but that's it. If anyone has a solution for this problem that they could please pass along I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Uh, there is NO compass needle. There is a compass ring, and a directional pointer. But the directional pointer is in no way analogous to a compass needle. It points in the direction you need to travel, but does not indicate your orientation.

screensw7.png

That little extended tick mark is the closest thing it has to a needle.

I think that the red arrow directs to the line which is your current direction (heading pointer). The compas itselves tells us that North is now at 04 o clock, which means it is the compass ring which tells you where North is...

Or maybe I don't completely understand the question...

Regards,

Hans