Uploading waypoints to a GPS 315

I have GSAK installed on my computer. I have Cachemate on my Palm. I really enjoy being able to go paperless. But entering waypoints by hand on the 315 is killing me!

I have the serial cable for the 315, but every time I try to send waypoints to my GPSr from GSAK, I get an error code saying "ERROR SENDING WAYPOINTS: MAGPROTO: Read error"

Can anyone help? how can I load waypoints on to this old GPSr.

A newer GPSr is NOT an option for me right now. The 315 is accurate and works great for me out in the field, I just HATE the manual entry part.

Steve

Check the baud rate and make sure the GSAK setup matches the unit’s setup. If that doesn't do it check to make sure the cable contacts are actually contacting the pad contacts on the unit. Something could be capturing and holding your com port captive (activesync, Hotsync, etc.). Rebooting the PC might help. If that does work, try clearing all of the unit's memory for one last ditch effort.

EDIT: I just thought of something else. Make sure the NEMA is turned off.

Edited by Cacheoholic

I have GSAK installed on my computer. I have Cachemate on my Palm. I really enjoy being able to go paperless. But entering waypoints by hand on the 315 is killing me!

I have the serial cable for the 315, but every time I try to send waypoints to my GPSr from GSAK, I get an error code saying "ERROR SENDING WAYPOINTS: MAGPROTO: Read error"

Can anyone help? how can I load waypoints on to this old GPSr.

A newer GPSr is NOT an option for me right now. The 315 is accurate and works great for me out in the field, I just HATE the manual entry part.

Steve

I have had some success by transfering from GSAK to EasyGPS (easygps.com) and the into my 315. it has worked for me just fine.

I've been using a GPS315 for years and have no problems using "EasyGPS" to download .LOC files. Download the .LOC files in bulk and use EasyGPS to edit and transfer them. The only issue, just recently encountered :laughing: , is that only the first 6 digits of the the newer 7 digit waypoints are transfered, i.e. GC12345 transfers as GC1234. To overcome this, I open the .LOC file and manually edit the waypoint by removing the "GC". At the same time I can edit the symbol and add comments. My settings are: NEMA is off and the baud rate is 9600. Manually loading waypoints is not a good thing :yikes:.