usb to serial cable problems

styrfry

My etrex legend only has a serial cable to hook up to the comp. and ofcourse my comp. doesnt have a serial port. I bought an adapter from best buy, its a dynex dx-ubdb9 serial to usb controller. I go on their web site and download their drivers but their files dont have a execute file and I cant get them to run. Because I cant run these drivers for the controller it prevents me from downloading the drivers for my etrex legend. Is there anyone who can help me?

Assuming windows xp

Download the files from the website.

Place the files (unzip if necessary) into a folder on your C: drive.

Name the folder to something simple you can remember.

Plug in the adaptor.

A window should pop up saying new hardware detected.

The first window should ask if you want to connect to windows update to find drivers. Click no then next.

The next window askes if install automatically or look in a specific location. Click specific location. In the next window select search for best drivers in the following location. Navigate to the files you downloaded. Click next.

Your drivers should install.

Kev

My etrex legend only has a serial cable to hook up to the comp. and ofcourse my comp. doesnt have a serial port. I bought an adapter from best buy, its a dynex dx-ubdb9 serial to usb controller. I go on their web site and download their drivers but their files dont have a execute file and I cant get them to run. Because I cant run these drivers for the controller it prevents me from downloading the drivers for my etrex legend. Is there anyone who can help me?

Hey, I just bought the same adapter from BestBuy ($36.99) for my Palm IIIxe and could not get it to work either. Mine came with a CD with the drivers. Did yours come with drivers on a CD?

I posted yesterday about my issue. I'm sure with the many experienced people here we will get this resolved. I need to check the Com ports on mine.

Good luck...

Bob

Assuming windows xp

Download the files from the website.

Place the files (unzip if necessary) into a folder on your C: drive.

Name the folder to something simple you can remember.

Plug in the adaptor.

A window should pop up saying new hardware detected.

The first window should ask if you want to connect to windows update to find drivers. Click no then next.

The next window askes if install automatically or look in a specific location. Click specific location. In the next window select search for best drivers in the following location. Navigate to the files you downloaded. Click next.

Your drivers should install.

Kev

Thanks Kev that did it! I have one more problem. When I go to add the garmin drivers in "add hardware" it says "cannot be install" and gives me a "code 10". Ever heard of that? also, I noticed when I downloaded my seial controller drivers from the website it said my controller cable was for a palm pilot. Do U think thats my problem? I didnt pay attention when I bought it, I would think the cables would be the same...

Thanks for your help.

Terry

Hey, I just bought the same adapter from BestBuy ($36.99) for my Palm IIIxe and could not get it to work either. Mine came with a CD with the drivers. Did yours come with drivers on a CD?

I posted yesterday about my issue. I'm sure with the many experienced people here we will get this resolved. I need to check the Com ports on mine.

Good luck...

Bob

Mine didnt come with the install CD, I had to download the files off their website. I'm still having trouble with my comp. downloading the drivers for my etrex. I might just buy a usb cable for the etrex off the internet. theres a couple places that build the usb cables for the etrex and some others.

Good luck with yours,

Terry

just FYI for future people about: dynex dx-ubdb9 serial to usb controller, i found one on Ebay for around $5.50 total with shipping, new! you may need to search around alittle, but a great price, and it comes with CD/manual. much better than $36.00. got this for my good old E-Trex also.

better check the package good, i bought the same adapter for my etrex legend and had the same problem. got to looking for a solution and finnaly discovered the install cd in the package behind the cardboard piece, once i found that and installed it havn't had a problem. i did get a laugh out of it because i was sure pissed when i couldn't get it to work.