Vehicle Vandalism

DreamLight

I just heard on the Podcacher podcast about the rising incidences of vehicles being broken into because thieves are seeing either GPSr mounts on windshields, or even just the telltale trace of the mount rings visible on windshields, and are breaking into vehicles looking for GPSr's. Even though I don't mount my unit, and I never leave it in my vehicle, I do have a Geocaching.com sticker and license plate holder. I really like the idea of advertising the sport, but I'm now pondering whether to remove the sticker and license plate holder. I really don't want to, but it might be prudent.

Just wondered what other folks' thoughts are on this. Do you advertise geocaching in some way on your vehicle? If so, will you continue to do so?

Leaving your car in a remote location is always a concern. Showing signs of electronics is always something to consider.

Don't leave anything behind that you aren't ready to lose.

As for leaving things in the trunk, make sure to lock your glovebox. Many cars nowadays have a pop button in there.

They just bust the window, open the box, pop the trunk lid.

Edited by BlueDeuce

The GPS they seek is the vehicle navigation type. I doubt the typical break and grab guy is at all familiar with Geocaching. But cars parked at trailheads are frequently the target of miscreants intent on theft. There is one in my own town, where they closed off the parking to avoid the problem , it was on a busy road and they would swing into the lot break a window and head right back out on the busy road, the parking was back a way so they were not readily visible. Where you park should always be a consideration.

Yep, crooks are a problem. I'm more concerned with urban or suburban areas than I am with wilderness parking, however, crimes of opportunity are a problem. Stow your stuff and make the car look as uninviting as possible. Some people use a lock box, in a truck bed or cable locked in a car. Given enough time though anything can be broken into.

As for leaving things in the trunk, make sure to lock your glovebox. Many cars nowadays have a pop button in there.

Most glove box locks are a joke. If it's available, use the feature which disconnects the remote trunk release from the pop button.

Back to the OP: I don't think a geocaching sticker should be a problem. If you're parked near a trailhead with one of those, the bad guys should know that the GPSr is not in the vehicle. :)

Most glove box locks are a joke. If it's available, use the feature which disconnects the remote trunk release from the pop button.

Back to the OP: I don't think a geocaching sticker should be a problem. If you're parked near a trailhead with one of those, the bad guys should know that the GPSr is not in the vehicle. :)

By the way, thanks for taking my bug overseas!