Another "Which GPSr thread", kinda different

Brik

What GPS receiver do I need? Nah, I wont do that to anyone.

I am looking for an in car only. I use a 60Csx for field use. Primarily for my wife and for road trips.

My requirements

-Under $200, cheaper the better

-voice prompt but voicing street names not required

-Good db of stuff like stores, restaurants, etc.

-Prefer new, not used, will consider mfg referb.

-easy to use for non-techie

-Does not require to ever hook it up to a PC if I don't want to (All US, Canada maybe, preloaded)

-KISS

-Plug and go appliance

-fastest and shortest options

-avoid tolls options

-can accept a lat/lon via the UI

I hope my 60Csx has not spoiled me. I use it for road nav. I want something that will be as good as the 60Csx for road nav.

I'm thinking the Mio 220, TomTom or a Nuvi something?

Is there a dedicated car GPSr, Garmin, preloaded North America for under $200?

What do you all think.

I have a Nuvi 200. I paid more than $200 for it, but you can shop and do better.

It has clear voice instructions (but doesn't pronounce street names), can accept coordinates, has a great database of restaurants & other points of interest (including hospitals - that I had to use once!).

It's VERY easy to use. I started using it right out of the box without benefit of instructions. In fact, it's so easy to use that instructions aren't even included, just a quick start guide.

You don't have to ever hook it up to a computer (unless you want to - you do have the option). Everything is preloaded for North America.

I have a Nuvi 200. I paid more than $200 for it, but you can shop and do better.

It has clear voice instructions (but doesn't pronounce street names), can accept coordinates, has a great database of restaurants & other points of interest (including hospitals - that I had to use once!).

It's VERY easy to use. I started using it right out of the box without benefit of instructions. In fact, it's so easy to use that instructions aren't even included, just a quick start guide.

You don't have to ever hook it up to a computer (unless you want to - you do have the option). Everything is preloaded for North America.

Not trying to hijack a thread but Im in the same boat, I have a 60CSx but want an in car gps for my wife, so Ill be listening

I have a 60CSX with City Navigator and still use my Nuvi! If it's a cache that's close to me, (and I'm in a hurry), I'll just use the 60CSX.

But, if I'm caching in an unfamiliar area, Nuvi is firmly planted in her spot in the car!

Generally, I'm caching alone and don't have the benefit of someone else (who isn't driving) trying to read the little screen. The Nuvi is easier to read, imho.

The 60CSX does have great mapping abilities, but it's just easier to use the Nuvi. I've posted this before and I think it's still true (at least for me!): The price of a Nuvi is cheaper than the higher insurance premiums that I'd have to pay if I wreck the car while caching!

I swung by Circuit City and looked at the Mio 220. Someone else was playing with the Nuvi and I didn't have time to play with it.

I thought the screen on the Mio looked a little dull and the user interface didn't seem too intuitive. Lots of people played with it and lots of various settings and configs were touched I'm sure. I did see coordinate entry, restaurants, etc. Screen was sort of small but hey, price? $200 additional $30 off online! 169, not too shabby.

The nuvi 200 looked cool from what I could tell over the shoulder of the guy checking it out. Less clutter on the screen.

I think I'll do this as my Christmas gift for my wife. I'll bet prices come down even more!