What's the best Grid to use?

mouseful

I've been away from Geocaching for a while. I got my gear out and updated the software to my gps receiver and my MapSource. After these updates, I noticed the receiver Grid was set to hddd'mm.mmm' and the MapSource was hddd.ddddd'.

The receiver was right on for geocaching but the MapSource had my tracks way off.

I changed the Grid in MapSource to match the receiver and all the tracks line up with roads, highways, etc..

Just wondering if the hddd'mm.mmm' grid is mainly used?

Thats not a "grid" - it is just the format of the coordinates. For Geocaching the coords are reported in the WGS-84 is datum. The datum is closer to a grid then the other.

You just got the format to be the same between your unit and mapsource.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with StarBrand. Coordinate format is closer to grid. Common grids are UTM and Lat/Long. hddd mm.mmm and hddd.ddddd are two formats of the Lat/Long grid.

Datum is a mathematical description of the size and shape of the earth. Depending on the datum you use the grid lines will be in different places. You need to set two separate pieces of information. Geocaching.com shows the coordinates using WGS-84 datum and lat/long grid (hDDD MM.MMM format). Its easiest if you have both your GPSr and mapping software set to these settings as well, but depending how you are transfering coordinates between GPSr and mapping software, this may not be necessary. The GPX file standard, for example, is to send the coordinates in WGS-84, lat/long, DDD.DDDD format)