Adequate for a destroyed report?

piper28

Ok, I know the general rule is that if you don't have the disc there you can't really qualify it for being destroyed, but I'm wondering about this one: OK0126

In this picture you can clearly see the remains of the impression of where the disc is. There was no evidence of the disc being there anymore. The area matches up with the description, and is well away from any other benchmark. And finally, while I hadn't logged it before, like many others I'd actually visited this mark in the past when there was a nearby geocache that referenced it being nearby, and know from personal experience that this is where the benchmark was.

Thoughts?

(Oh, and I'm referring to logging it as destroyed with the NGS, not for here, for here I'm perfectly content to log it destroyed.)

As a general rule, I would agree with AZcachemeister. If I found the impression of a disk, I would log it as "DIDN'T FIND IT" at the Geocaching datasheet, and "FOUND - POOR" at the NGS datasheet (with a good description of what I found and why the station is POOR).

However, after viewing your photos of OK0126, it looks like you may very well have a righteous DESTROYED bench mark disk (I've submitted similar stations to NGS, and they've been re-classified as DESTROYED). I recommend that you send Deb Brown an e-mail. In the e-mail, recommend to her that she re-classify the station as DESTROYED in the NGS database. Provide a description of what you found at the site; the description should be sufficiently complete and detailed to assure yourself and Deb that the broken concrete monument and disk impression that you found are, in fact, the remains of OK0126, and not some nearby station. Attach your two photos to the e-mail.

At the Geocaching datasheet, I would log as "DIDN'T FIND IT" until such time as Deb re-classified the station as DESTROYED. Then, I would change my Geocaching log to "DESTROYED" with "NGS has re-classified this station as DSTROYED as of ________."

Absent that (e-mail to Deb), I agree with AZcachemeister: NOT FOUND

Will

Edited by seventhings

Looking at the earlier GC logs, there are some good area photos of the site that should enable you to determine whether the broken post you found is the same one in those earlier photos. You know the earlier logs have the right disk because there are photos of it. If you took an area shot of the broken post wherein you could match the landscape of the earlier photos, I would be convinced that this one is destroyed, and I would log it as such, both with NGS and on GC.

I think someone actually did the surveying community a favor by smashing this mark since the integrity of its elevation has been suspect since at least 1994. There is now no doubt that this mark is of no further use for surveying purposes.

Nope, still a 'Not Found'.

I would state that I found the spot where the disk was monumented, and that the disk is missing..but that's all you can really say.

That location with it's impression MAY still be useful.

While it may not be real clear in my photos, the piece with the impression is no longer on the main part of the post that remains, and is broken off. There were a bunch of broken pieces of post, and even what was left of the main post was no longer standing quite straight. I suppose it might be possible to take the various pieces and reassemble them and possibly get the disk impression in a possibly useful point.

Based on my previous visit to the site, there's no doubt in my mind this is the remains of the benchmark that was there. It was a pretty frequently visited and obvious benchmark while the geocache was still in the area. I'll try emailing Deb about it, although now I'm wishing I had taken a couple more photos of the area.

If you're going to send Deb an email as seventhings suggested, I would additionally do the following. In one of the previous GC logs, there is a nice wide shot showing the post and some surrounding area. Take a printout of this photo to the scene, and then take as similar a photo as you can--same direction, same perspective. A before & after set of photos may be helpful in a successful "destroyed" report.