Help! My cache has moved...

I had a DNF reported on one of my caches (GC14DA5) yesterday. I exchanged e-mails with the reporter, and went to see if the cache had been muggled, but...it's just moved. The thing is, I now can't reach it to put it back where it should be.

The co-ords for this cache lead you to a gap in the bottom of a fence, and the cache should sit just to the left of the gap, within arm's reach on the ledge. I jumped up on the ledge and took a look over the fence, and saw that the cache has moved about four or five feet to the left of where it should be, putting it out of reach. I assume someone may have shoved it there with a stick or something.

It still seems to be fully intact. There's a tiny space in the fence that I tried to slide something under to move it, but it didn't work more than an inch or two, and I could see the box moving closer to the edge of the ledge - which would dump it into a river, and is in an inaccessible area.

So...I need to move it back to where it should be. As far as I can tell, it can be moved back in one of two ways - by using something like a pole with a hook on the end, and pulling it back through the gap, or by standing on the ledge and pushing it along with a long stick/pole. Trouble is, I have no suitable implements, and I'm not quite tall enough for the latter option.

Can anyone help me here? It's so near, yet so far, and I really want to get it back. Anyone an expert in getting things like this back? If anyone can take a look and put it back where it should be, I'll be really grateful.

It's temporarily disabled for now, but I hope it won't be for long.

Lee

It does not need to be magnetic if you put something sticky on the end of a pole you should be able to drag it back - take along a pole and a roll of double sided sticky tape or something like that. I am assuming it is too far for one of those gripper sticks they market for disabled people - being a bit dimensionally disadvantaged I keep one in my cachemobile. Sorry I am too far away to help but good luck and don't fall in the river.

Similarly to what John Stead said, if you get some epoxy resin (the sort where you need to mix two compounds together), put a glob on the end of a stick and rest/touch the stick to the container and then leave it to dry, you should be able to recover the box. The advantage to this over sticky tape etc is that you don't need to push the sticky stuff onto the box and risk its being pushed further away.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not sure I'm up to the job of rescuing it myself, but I've had some offers of help which I appreciate.

As the thing is still there, I've reactivated the cache with some updated info on where it is and where it needs to be, and uprated the difficulty appropriately! If someone wants to be the next to try it, it's currently way more difficult than it should be. :huh:

Sorry if this reply is seen as a bit confrontational; but if you can't access the other side of the fence then should something even be placed there?

It is a bit.

That’s what fences are for, surely. One side of the fence you can access and the other you can’t. Unfortunately, in this case the cache has gone through to the other side; it happens. If you take your point to its conclusion, you wouldn’t be able to put caches anywhere near any boundary in case they ended up on the wrong side.

Sorry if this reply is seen as a bit confrontational; but if you can't access the other side of the fence then should something even be placed there?

It is a bit.

That’s what fences are for, surely. One side of the fence you can access and the other you can’t. Unfortunately, in this case the cache has gone through to the other side; it happens. If you take your point to its conclusion, you wouldn’t be able to put caches anywhere near any boundary in case they ended up on the wrong side.

Quite, but from the OP it would seem the cache was originally place on the 'other' (i.e. inaccessible) side. I know from house stuff that the side of the fence with the posts defines its ownership, but IT is the boundary, and it would seem that if the cache is placed though a hole to the side of the fence that is not accessible it is therefore on (dare I say) private land surely it is agin the rules. Sorry for playing devil's advocate here, but it is from a point of (bad) experience....

It is a bit.

Quite, but from the OP it would seem the cache was originally place on the 'other' (i.e. inaccessible) side. I know from house stuff that the side of the fence with the posts defines its ownership, but IT is the boundary, and it would seem that if the cache is placed though a hole to the side of the fence that is not accessible it is therefore on (dare I say) private land surely it is agin the rules. Sorry for playing devil's advocate here, but it is from a point of (bad) experience....

The whole area is local authority/public land. The fence is basically there to stop people falling in a river. There's no ownership or trespass issues involved. In its correct position, the cache is 100% accessible from public land.