Newbie?

gratefulHIKE

How often do Garmin/Magellan come out with new handheld mapping units for backpacking? I am interested in a new unit, Accuracy is my number one need, secondary is build and battery life followed by display and lastly key layout.....I see garmin recently released the vista HCX which seems interesting, will they do a similar update to the 60 series within the next 6 months?

I dont like touch screens while backpacking, the triton series from magellan looks interesting but definately not something I would want on my pack,,,,,,I bought a 60csx for my brother which was nice, small and seemingly durable, but I however would like anyone with knows something to come FORTH!!B) and declare if either company will be scheduling any releases within 6 months for such a product....or if the HCX is that such product

Any response would be gratefully apreciated...

All handhelds will do the job for you. The newer generation is a lot more sensative then the prior generations. The Hx will be fine as would about any other handheld.

Accuracy has not improved a heck of a lot. Just the ability to lock onto the signal. One that can take an external anteana may help your accuracy but I'd look into that before spending the money on one.

Will Garmin come out with another GPS soon? Yes. Will it be a hand held? That's anybody's gess.