Feature Request: Keyword search in PQs

KRnlKilR

I would like to request a new feature that I think many would find beneficial. When searching for geocaches from the Hide & Seek a Cache page, you can search by keyword. This is a great feature as it allows you to find a cache if you don't know the GC number or the coords. It's also great for finding all of the caches in a series, for instance, the Indiana Spirit Quest.

However, you can't create a PQ with a keyword search... Searching for the keywords Indiana Spirit Quest in the Hide & Seek a Cache page, I get over 500 results, but no way to really mass download them to my GSAK. I would like to request that Keyword searching be added to PQs so people can search for caches by keyword, and then have the GPX file delivered to their email box.

Anyone else feel that would be a beneficial feature in PQs?

Thanks,

KRnlKilR

Anyone else feel that would be a beneficial feature in PQs?

Yes, I would welcome such a feature too.

In my opinion, neither the hide and seek page nor the PQ-search utility offer the kind of queries that I expect to be offered for each reasonably user-friendly database.

The hide and seek page has the disadvantage that only simple queries with respect to just one criterion are possible and queries with respect to properties like the terrain rating are not possible at all. On the other hand, the PQ utility (preview mode) allows such combined queries, but some search fields like the cache name are not offered in this mode.

I would welcome a way that allows various sorts of filtering at the database level and in real-time, i.e. not by requesting GPX files and then working on these files with tools like

GSAK. This two-level approach (GPX files from gc.com and filtering in GSAK in one's own local cache data-base) does not work well for me as I would like to run queries from different computers situated in different locations (or even different cities or countries while traveling).

Cezanne

Well part of my reasoning for wanting this type of search capability is that I would like to concentrate on finding the entire Indiana Spirit Quest series. But the only way I can get the coordinates for each is to download them from each individual cache listing. I would like to download them all in one swoop.

KRnlKilR

I like the suggestion! A couple of thoughts to help in the meantime . . .

You can create your own bookmark lists and then create a PQ from that. In the case of the Indiana Spirit Quest, I did a keyword search and opened the first one that was listed. There on the page was a link to a public bookmark list that has already been created for you. As a premium member, you can create a PQ from this to download. Note that there are 2 bookmark lists, Volume I and Volume II.

Watch out, I got ripped on here about a week ago for suggesting the same thing. Apparently, it upsets the GC.com Gods. :( Good luck with it......I think the site desperately needs it.

Seems that the only response you get is that you should use third party software (GSAK) and do the sorting and searching offline.

The search functions are not nearly as robust as they should be.

Actually, there was a little more than that, but no need to rehash it here.

The point is that the search capabilities on this site could be vastly improved, and it's obvious that other people do want it.....just as much as I do.

Using third party methods take you away from the site (which means that we're not on here to click on the affiliate links to make GC.com money), and as I discussed in the other post, they would have done nothing to help my situation anyway. Not to mention, a well run site, wouldn't force you to go to another source to gain info. Just like they incorporate the Google maps on here. User friendliness is one of the most important aspects of an online site. A proper keyword search/ tags (whatever you choose to call them) would have solved my problem. And I realize, if I could benefit from it, surely others could as well.

I'm not trying to start a fight. I'm just telling the OP that this is a subject that certain individuals on this site clearly don't like discussing. I'm happy to hear that those individuals have found ways to make things work for them, but that doesn't mean it will work in everyone's situation. That's why change is needed on here. And really, why fight against making things better? Who doesn't like seeing things improve??

And as a side note, the OP of this thread was asking for keywords to be utilized within the PQs. That was the "answer" most people were giving me.....to become a member (which I have) and to use the PQs. Clearly, the PQs aren't working for everyone either. I can't say they wouldn't have solved my problem as I haven't went back to check if a PQ would have found the cache that was pertinent in my thread, but from what I'm reading on this thread.....chances are, it wouldn't have helped at all. Proof that something needs to change.