GPS Mapping Software

2litl2l8

Hello all,

I have a Gramin Etrex Vista C. I also have the Garmin US Topo software. I am looking for some mapping software that will allow me to make routes using dirt roads and trails. US Topo will make routes but only following major Freeways and Hyways. I want to be able to look at an area and see the (fire) dirt roads and perhaps make routes on the computer so that I can download them to my GPS go out in the field and follow the routes via Dirt roads. If I am not clear please let me know so that I can try to explain better.

Thanks much

A. Conklin

Your GPS has the options of "Follow road" or "Off road"

You are wanting to go off road onto trails, which is off road. Maybe upload a string of waypoints and go from point to point in the field??

When you select off road it does a direct path from way point to way point. I was hoping for software that would route via dirt roads and trails. I suppose I could try the multiple way point that you suggested.

Thank you any more info would be appreciated greatly.

When a friend and I were planning to place caches along an elusive trail in the National Forest, he created many waypoints in Google Earth. We put those in our GPS units to guide us during the hike. Somewhat tedious, but it kept us from getting hopelessly turned around during our adventure.

I have used Google Earth, a free Google Earth add-on called GPS Visualizer and a free program called GPS Utility to draw tracks and then transfer them to my GPS.

With GPS Visualizer, you overlay topo maps onto Google Earth

Then in Google Earth I draw a path and save the path as a .kml file

I then use GPS Utility to convert the kml file to a GPX file.

I then transfer the GPX file to my GPS unit.

Edited by rlridgeway

Hello all,

I have a Gramin Etrex Vista C. I also have the Garmin US Topo software. I am looking for some mapping software that will allow me to make routes using dirt roads and trails. US Topo will make routes but only following major Freeways and Hyways. I want to be able to look at an area and see the (fire) dirt roads and perhaps make routes on the computer so that I can download them to my GPS go out in the field and follow the routes via Dirt roads. If I am not clear please let me know so that I can try to explain better.

Thanks much

A. Conklin

Ah. You've encountered the very void that I was complaining about a couple weeks ago. There is no mapping product that has comprehensive routable trails (the Garmin National Parks 24k series do, but coverage is only within the National Parks). cGPSMapper can create maps for Garmin, and if you are willing to share your maps with the public, you can use Mapcenter (http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com) to access the full version to compile maps. I'm working on collecting trail data and I will submit some maps to fill this void.