Lesson Learned

jabberwock82

Boy, do I feel stupid. After my third DNF today, I suddenly discovered that a shortcut I had found to "goto" a waypoint on my Magellan didn't work like I thought.

I had found that if I moved the cursor to the waypoint and pressed "Goto", then the compass display would show the waypoint in the "To:" line. I assumed it used the waypoint coordinates.

It doesn't. It uses whatever coordinates the cursor is at, which may or may not be close to the real coordinates, depending on the zoom setting (yes, I know it asked if I wanted to set the Goto to the current cursor position, but since it gave the right name in the "To:" line, I assumed it really used the waypoint).

I hope my experience helps someone else avoid the same mistake.

Boy, do I feel stupid. After my third DNF today, I suddenly discovered that a shortcut I had found to "goto" a waypoint on my Magellan didn't work like I thought.

I had found that if I moved the cursor to the waypoint and pressed "Goto", then the compass display would show the waypoint in the "To:" line. I assumed it used the waypoint coordinates.

It doesn't. It uses whatever coordinates the cursor is at, which may or may not be close to the real coordinates, depending on the zoom setting (yes, I know it asked if I wanted to set the Goto to the current cursor position, but since it gave the right name in the "To:" line, I assumed it really used the waypoint).

I hope my experience helps someone else avoid the same mistake.

Do you happen to know at what zoom level it does goto the correct coords for the waypoint?

With my 210 if I try that it sometimes works and sometimes not. What I have found is if you select go to, and it says "go to current cursor location" then I'm not right on the waypoint I want. However, if it says "go to GCxxxx", then it's OK.

When it indicates cursor location rather then a GC number, I find I can go back to the screen readjust the cursor and try again.

In the long run I have found it's easier to just go to menu and select the next go to waypoint. :anitongue:

With my 210 if I try that it sometimes works and sometimes not. What I have found is if you select go to, and it says "go to current cursor location" then I'm not right on the waypoint I want. However, if it says "go to GCxxxx", then it's OK.

When it indicates cursor location rather then a GC number, I find I can go back to the screen readjust the cursor and try again.

In the long run I have found it's easier to just go to menu and select the next go to waypoint. :anitongue:

Ya, that seems to be the way that the good old trusty Gold works as well. Thank you. :rolleyes:

Hey! I found that out the hard way on my 210 too!!!!!! And just to clarify....I DID read my owner's manual. I also read the entire PDF file that I downloaded from Magellan. It's not mentioned in there, but also it's not the way that the MFG recommends. (And just like you, sometimes it works, sometimes not. But, you're always close.)

On my 60CSX, it seems to work okay that way, though.

Hey! I found that out the hard way on my 210 too!!!!!! And just to clarify....I DID read my owner's manual. I also read the entire PDF file that I downloaded from Magellan. It's not mentioned in there, but also it's not the way that the MFG recommends. (And just like you, sometimes it works, sometimes not. But, you're always close.)

On my 60CSX, it seems to work okay that way, though.