GSAK/Cachemate Question

Six in Stix

Hi everyone! Just got my Palm M500. Purchased Cachemate. Downloaded and installed GSAK. Purchased a geocaching membership. Completed a pocket Query. Whew!! I am so excited to have 250 caches close to my home loaded on my new Palm. When I go into cachemate on the Palm, it gives me the option to view by name or waypoint (or something like that) but the list is the same either way - it is only by name no matter what I select. I read about smart names for cachemate, and was able to create a list of smart names (very cool!) on GSAK, but my question (and I do have one :) ) is how do I get those smart names to load as the names for both cachemate and the file GSAK will send to my GPS? I'd like the names to be the same to make it easy to cross reference between my GPS and My Palm.

This (still a) newbie thanks you in advance

You can certainly have the smart names sent over to cachemate (on the export screen, I believe the tag for the name to use is %smart, but check the manual, it may just be a checkbox to say the smart name is the name). I did that once, so that cross referencing in the field would be easier, but I hated it, so am back to the smart name being on my GPS, and the full name on the Palm. If I can't find a cache on the palm, I just do a "find" for a word I know is in the cache (based on the GPS smart name), and it usually comes right up.

Hi everyone! Just got my Palm M500. Purchased Cachemate. Downloaded and installed GSAK. Purchased a geocaching membership. Completed a pocket Query. Whew!! I am so excited to have 250 caches close to my home loaded on my new Palm. When I go into cachemate on the Palm, it gives me the option to view by name or waypoint (or something like that) but the list is the same either way - it is only by name no matter what I select. I read about smart names for cachemate, and was able to create a list of smart names (very cool!) on GSAK, but my question (and I do have one :) ) is how do I get those smart names to load as the names for both cachemate and the file GSAK will send to my GPS? I'd like the names to be the same to make it easy to cross reference between my GPS and My Palm.

This (still a) newbie thanks you in advance

The list is not the same, at least not on my m500. The list when sorted by waypoint, displays the waypoint number in the first column. The reverse is true when you sort by name. Also on my unit, it is "Sort by:" Not "View by:" :)

Edited by Team Cotati

The list is not the same, at least not on my m500. The list when sorted by waypoint, displays the waypoint number in the first column. The reverse is true when you sort by name. Also on my unit, it is "Sort by:" Not "View by:" :)

Thanks, Team Cotati! You're right of course. Now that I have the Palm in front of me, it is "sort by" not "view by." And when I switch between the two it does change the sort order (probably by waypt or name just like it says) but I don't have two columns displayed on the palm - only the Name in one column down the display. Any ideas on that anybody? I am brand new at the palm, too, in case it is a palm display problem.

I DO see now on GSAK how to include the smart name in the export. I haven't done it yet, but I think I could make it work if I tried.

I was figuring if it only displayed a name, it would be very helpful if that naem could be the same as the name in the GPSr.

When looking at the list of caches, bring up th emenu bar, click on Option, then List Options. In the "Extra Info" drop down, choose "waypoint". That will display the waypoint next to the cache name in the list. I leave it at none, so that I can see more of the actual name. You can also choose to see the diff/terr rating, which is pretty useful.

Thanks, Team Cotati! You're right of course. Now that I have the Palm in front of me, it is "sort by" not "view by." And when I switch between the two it does change the sort order (probably by waypt or name just like it says) but I don't have two columns displayed on the palm - only the Name in one column down the display. Any ideas on that anybody? I am brand new at the palm, too, in case it is a palm display problem.

I DO see now on GSAK how to include the smart name in the export. I haven't done it yet, but I think I could make it work if I tried.

I was figuring if it only displayed a name, it would be very helpful if that naem could be the same as the name in the GPSr.

No there aren't actually two physical columns, that was just for reference. :)

No there aren't actually two physical columns, that was just for reference. :)

Ha! Well, that shows you how much I know about my Palm :)

I have it all working now! So exciting!

Before I was pretty organized with a binder full of cache printouts. But this is a whole new realm. Yeehaw!

Thanks for your help, everyone!