Mileage Issue on Trackables

Sioneva

A friend of mine recently took two coins of mine over to Russia and logged them in and out of a virtual cache there. The additional 4000+ miles were added to the total when I hit 'recalculate', and it looked really good. One coin had about 13,000 miles total - really sweet!

She then remembered that she had taken then to a virtual in Chicago before going to Russia, and added a backdated entry for each coin - ever since then, the mileage of the trip to Russia isn't showing up, no matter how many times I hit recalculate. It shows the mileage to Chicago, but no mileage figures for Russia. Is there something I need to tweak to fix this?

Thanks!

A friend of mine recently took two coins of mine over to Russia and logged them in and out of a virtual cache there. The additional 4000+ miles were added to the total when I hit 'recalculate', and it looked really good. One coin had about 13,000 miles total - really sweet!

She then remembered that she had taken then to a virtual in Chicago before going to Russia, and added a backdated entry for each coin - ever since then, the mileage of the trip to Russia isn't showing up, no matter how many times I hit recalculate. It shows the mileage to Chicago, but no mileage figures for Russia. Is there something I need to tweak to fix this?

Thanks!

I am pretty new to Geocaching, and I assume this has been discussed before, but I am surprised to read that one can log TBs or Coins in and out of Virtual Caches. Seems kind of absurd. It also seems like "cheating" to have the same person log an item in and out of a cache for the mileage. I would think most of the fun would be to see how far it could go by changing hands. Whatever...

I am pretty new to Geocaching, and I assume this has been discussed before, but I am surprised to read that one can log TBs or Coins in and out of Virtual Caches. Seems kind of absurd. It also seems like "cheating" to have the same person log an item in and out of a cache for the mileage. I would think most of the fun would be to see how far it could go by changing hands. Whatever...

You'll be happy to know that no new virtual caches are being listed. Webcam caches (also discontinued) and Earthcaches don't allow bugs to be logged through them.

It also seems like "cheating" to have the same person log an item in and out of a cache for the mileage.

Not all caches can hold a bug but if it actually visited the cache it should get credit for being there.

Sometimes people plan to place the bug in a location the helps meet the bug's goal. If they happen to go caching along the way I would certainly hope they would log the bug.

You may prefer to move a bug one cache, but I don't think I'd label other folk's methods as seems like cheating.

You'll be happy to know that no new virtual caches are being listed. Webcam caches (also discontinued) and Earthcaches don't allow bugs to be logged through them.

Well, actually, I am not happy to know that. I have nothing against "Virtual caches", but I just think it is odd to log a TB or Geocoin there, just like it would be odd to log one in a micro cache where it would not fit.

It also seems like "cheating" to have the same person log an item in and out of a cache for the mileage.

Not all caches can hold a bug but if it actually visited the cache it should get credit for being there.

Sometimes people plan to place the bug in a location the helps meet the bug's goal. If they happen to go caching along the way I would certainly hope they would log the bug.

You may prefer to move a bug one cache, but I don't think I'd label other folk's methods as seems like cheating.

Both the owner (me) and the mover (my friend) would have preferred to have the coin logged in and out of a physical cache, but they were kind of scarce in the section of Russia she was in. I'm not complaining. And I don't regard it as cheating - why shouldn't it get credit for the miles it traveled, if there was a legitimate cache there, virtual or not?

But that's a topic for another forum. And another thread.

Well, actually, I am not happy to know that. I have nothing against "Virtual caches", but I just think it is odd to log a TB or Geocoin there, just like it would be odd to log one in a micro cache where it would not fit.

Well, it visited the cache so I'm not sure what's the issue.

Both the owner (me) and the mover (my friend) would have preferred to have the coin logged in and out of a physical cache, but they were kind of scarce in the section of Russia she was in. I'm not complaining. And I don't regard it as cheating - why shouldn't it get credit for the miles it traveled, if there was a legitimate cache there, virtual or not?

But that's a topic for another forum. And another thread.

Dipping is a perfectly acceptable practice and should be encouraged.

Since the point of travel bugs is to travel if it visited the cache it should get credit for being there.

And I don't care what kind of cache it is.

Tell stories, take pictures, have fun.

If it visited a cache, it can be logged through. If someone is traveling, they can log TBs/coins in and out to record mileage. Nothing wrong with any of that. The stories and photos are the most fun for TBs. Moving along is fun. As long as no virtual logs happen, ie: logging a bug you've never even seen, but only have the number to, then all is good. Virtual logging is a no-no. That can get a bug locked.