Base model eTrex for my daughters first GPSr?

ubdylan

I have recently pulled my daughter into the game and she seems to be hooked. She wants to start doing this on her own and with friends. With that in mind I am considering the base model eTrex for a first unit for her. The price seems right for a low risk entry GPS for her to start with. Any words of wisdom or another unit I should consider? I don't want her "borrowing" mine. :D

Thanks for any suggestions.

Make sure to get the high sensitivity unit of any eTrex that you would choose. Future memory expansion is also important.

Perhaps spend a little more now to prevent near immediate upgrading, hence saving some hard earned cash down the road.

Can't go wrong with a Legend or Venture, purchased new, on ebay, as they will also provide mapping. I am sure she will want that sooner than later.

Youngsters seem to know computers way better than us older folks, because it's part of their play and educational processes. So I'd think one in at least the mid-range of capabilities would be the best. A basic Etrex or eXplorist 100 would probably bore her in no time, and she'd want one with more B's & W's.

Dick

I'll go against the flow. Buy the low end. In a couple years, she'll be after what's the lastest anyway, or else will be on to her next thing and not care. I bought eTrex Ventures for two daughters (at different times!). One went one way (now gone pro using Survey grade stuff for a living!). The other one uses the one built into her SUV to get to the trailhead only, then pulls out a paper map. Go figure!

I'll go against the flow. Buy the low end. In a couple years, she'll be after what's the lastest anyway, or else will be on to her next thing and not care. I bought eTrex Ventures for two daughters (at different times!). One went one way (now gone pro using Survey grade stuff for a living!). The other one uses the one built into her SUV to get to the trailhead only, then pulls out a paper map. Go figure!

Nice. I found a killer deal on a Legend, same as mine, so she should have no issues at all.

Again, thanks for the replies.