"Needs maintenence" attribute?

broncoman529

It is for the cache, and the attribute serves as a flag for the owner and other finders. I reserve it for cases where the container is no longer watertight, the tree hiding the cache has fallen over, 8 months of comments about a full logsheet have been ignored, etc.

If the area is in bad shape, I will say in my log that it could use a good CITO event, or that all the junked cars detracted from the otherwise scenic view. It is not the cache owner's job to deal with those things.

It is for the cache, and the attribute serves as a flag for the owner and other finders. I reserve it for cases where the container is no longer watertight, the tree hiding the cache has fallen over, 8 months of comments about a full logsheet have been ignored, etc.

If the area is in bad shape, I will say in my log that it could use a good CITO event, or that all the junked cars detracted from the otherwise scenic view. It is not the cache owner's job to deal with those things.

Okay, that answers that, but I'm confused. Why would you need to put that the cache itself is in bad shape as an attribute for the cache listing? You're the owner - only you can set attributes (right? or am I wrong on that?). If you know your cache needs fixing, FIX IT! LOL

Any user can set the "needs maintenance" attribute by writing a "needs maintenance" log on the cache page. The owner removes the attribute by entering an "owner maintenance" log on the cache page.

This feature was added in response to requests from the community to have something short of a "needs archived" log that would alert the owner, and other finders, to a cache maintenance issue.

Okay, that answers that, but I'm confused. Why would you need to put that the cache itself is in bad shape as an attribute for the cache listing? You're the owner - only you can set attributes (right? or am I wrong on that?). If you know your cache needs fixing, FIX IT! LOL

If that attribute gets put on the page by a 'needs maintenance' log the owner has two ways to get rid of it. One is to post an 'owner maintenance' log which will remove the attribute. The other way is for for the owner to go in and edit the attributes of the page. I assume the ability to remove an attribute means they also have the ability to add it, even though no one would likely do so.

A lot of times people write in their logs that the cache is wet but nothing happens. I think they are trying to be nice but a lot of owners won't take action on a comment especially if people continue to log the cache. So at some point a finder will post a "Needs Maintenance" note to clearly let the owner know and to clearly warn other cachers. There is a cache in Oceanside that has been wet since April 28th. I have been waiting for it to be taken care of so I can find it. I won't find a soaking wet cache. I've been in Oceanside almost every weekend this summer watching my kid play beach volleyball. But the cache never gets fixed. People keep logging it, so maybe the owner must think that it's OK. But now there are two "Needs Mainenance" logs and the owner posted a note two weeks ago that he/she was going to fix it. I'm thinking that if a "Needs Mainenance" log had been posted back on April 28th, that cache might actually be dry by now. So my point is that if the cache really does need maintenance, you should post a "Needs Maintenance" note to help out future cachers out and to let the owner know there is an issue which needs to be resolved by them. :cry:

If that attribute gets put on the page by a 'needs maintenance' log the owner has two ways to get rid of it. One is to post an 'owner maintenance' log which will remove the attribute. The other way is for for the owner to go in and edit the attributes of the page. I assume the ability to remove an attribute means they also have the ability to add it, even though no one would likely do so.

I have seen cache owners setting the needs maintenance attribute after another cacher has posted a DNF or even a found it log reporting a problem. The owner wanted to alert others that there may be a problem and that he plans to check on it soon but did not want to go so far as temporarily disabling the cache.

I have seen cache owners setting the needs maintenance attribute after another cacher has posted a DNF or even a found it log reporting a problem. The owner wanted to alert others that there may be a problem and that he plans to check on it soon but did not want to go so far as temporarily disabling the cache.

I have disabled my caches when one or two people post a convincing DNF log. I also immediately post a note (saying I will get out there soon) when someone posts a log stating that the logbook was wet, etc. I like it when cache owners post something on the cache page to let others know that they are aware of the issue and will they take action. :cry: