Sending hints to GPS

I have a 60CSx and I would like to know how, using GSAK I can have the hints sent to the GPS. I was told that the 60CSx can handle this function.

Yes, it can. In GSAK type in %hint in the "Waypoint description format (comments)" box when you click on GPS/Send Waypoints tab. It will allow a total of 30 characters in the waypoint comment field.

You can also use GSAK to create Custom POIs by exporting your geocache files to a .gpx file, then upload this using Garmin's POI Loader, which is free. This resides on the microSD card along with your mapping. In this case type in %hint in the "Cache description" box. If you go this route a custom POI can hold 44 characters in the Waypoint name field, and another 88 characters in the Comment field, a total of 132. It's awesome!

Welcome to the Forums! :cry:

Are you using GSAK to send the waypoints to your GPSr?

If so, as Timpat states, you use the code ' %hint ' in the "Waypoint description format (comments)" box of the "Send Waypoints to GPS" dialogue box.

You can also get a useful waypoint name by using the "Smart Name" codes for the Waypoint. I use ' %smart=6 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1 ' which gives me part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale).

I have a 60CSx and I would like to know how, using GSAK I can have the hints sent to the GPS. I was told that the 60CSx can handle this function.

Yes, it can. In GSAK type in %hint in the "Waypoint description format (comments)" box when you click on GPS/Send Waypoints tab. It will allow a total of 30 characters in the waypoint comment field.

You can also use GSAK to create Custom POIs by exporting your geocache files to a .gpx file, then upload this using Garmin's POI Loader, which is free. This resides on the microSD card along with your mapping. In this case type in %hint in the "Cache description" box. If you go this route a custom POI can hold 44 characters in the Waypoint name field, and another 88 characters in the Comment field, a total of 132. It's awesome!

I have a 60CS and load 10 characters of the cache name and the hint. I don't mess with a Palm anymore. It makes it a little more of a challenge that way! :cry:

I'm sorry guys, but i still dont understand what you mean by GSAK, is it a program, and if it is, where can i find it....and what is a GPSR....i'm very new to this, so this is way over my head...

I have one more question....when you start to use the track system on your gps, which is still the 60cx that i have...when you take that track and put it on your mapsource...and then you use the track properties...along the bottom of the track properties it has, points, length, area, elasped time, and avg speed....now wheni first got this, it would show up in all the colums, but since i have used it for a bit, and i probably did change some things around...for some reason i dont show the elaped time or the avg speed....is there a way to bring that back so i can see that on the future tracks that i put on there....thanks ahead of time

I'm sorry guys, but i still dont understand what you mean by GSAK, is it a program, and if it is, where can i find it....and what is a GPSR....i'm very new to this, so this is way over my head...

I have one more question....when you start to use the track system on your gps, which is still the 60cx that i have...when you take that track and put it on your mapsource...and then you use the track properties...along the bottom of the track properties it has, points, length, area, elasped time, and avg speed....now wheni first got this, it would show up in all the colums, but since i have used it for a bit, and i probably did change some things around...for some reason i dont show the elaped time or the avg speed....is there a way to bring that back so i can see that on the future tracks that i put on there....thanks ahead of time

I'm not sure about the 60cx, but with the eTrex series, if you "save" a track, the elapsed time and hence avg speed are stripped from the file. I think this is so they can be used for Tracback operations. However, if it is the same as the Vista HCx, if you set it up to record to the microSD card, these tracks retain all the information, since they are considered Active Logs by Mapsource, when you load the gpx file. Just for your info, the gpx file contains all the track information for a calendar day, but when it is imported into Mapsource, there is a separate track (with all information) for each time the GPS is turned on (ACTIVELOG 1, ACTIVELOG 2, etc.).

No, 30 characters is the max for comments on each cache. As has been mentioned, you can increase it to 44 characters in the title and 88 in the comments section if you download waypoints as custom POIs. All you need is to download POI Loader. GSAK can be used to add the hint en masse.

it....and what is a GPSR....i'm very new to this, so this is way over my head...

tiger1_ca,

I don't think I saw this one answered . . . A GPSr is a "Global Positioning Satellite receiver", which most of us in this sport/hobby/obsession own. As opposed to a GPS - "Global Positioning Satellite" which most of us don't own. :) "GPSr" is just a technically correct way of referring to what we hold in our hand and is VERY commonly simply referred to as a "GPS."

Cache On!

JohnTee