Best of both worlds

I have had the GPS V, Map60C, and now the Map60Cx, and I regret selling my GPS V's that I had. They were the best handheld Autorouters Garmin had until they came out with the Garmin Quest GPS to replace the GPS V.

The Quest 2 is better for autorouting than any other Garmin handheld except the GPS V, in that the current Garmin handhelds cannot autoroute on highway systems where roads branch-off to the left or to the right. The current handhelds like the Map60/76 series and color eTrexes can only do major turns from one road to another, and these GPSMap series cannot guide you when roads split or fork to the left and right, and you have to take a certain fork-in-the-road. Here is where the Quest 2 is best.

The Quest 2 will record a tracklog whereas the Garmin Autorouting Car units mostly will not record any tracklogs.

Garmin Quest 2 Manual

Short Video of somebody reviewing the Quest 2

My Map60Cx has been so limiting that I had bought a big screen eXplorist XL with TOPO 3D loaded, last year.

The Quest 2 will take an external antenna, that helps for times when the signal becomes weak inside the car.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Ithe current Garmin handhelds cannot autoroute on highway systems where roads branch-off to the left or to the right. The current handhelds like the Map60/76 series and color eTrexes can only do major turns from one road to another, and these GPSMap series cannot guide you when roads split or fork to the left and right, and you have to take a certain fork-in-the-road.

What the huh? :rolleyes:

My 60CSx has no problem at all with this. I get "keep left" and "keep right" message to alert me to take one fork or the other all the time (on both highways and surface streets). Don't know where you're getting this info, but it's wrong.

Ithe current Garmin handhelds cannot autoroute on highway systems where roads branch-off to the left or to the right. The current handhelds like the Map60/76 series and color eTrexes can only do major turns from one road to another, and these GPSMap series cannot guide you when roads split or fork to the left and right, and you have to take a certain fork-in-the-road.

What the huh? :rolleyes:

My 60CSx has no problem at all with this. I get "keep left" and "keep right" message to alert me to take one fork or the other all the time (on both highways and surface streets). Don't know where you're getting this info, but it's wrong.

My 60CS shows all turns as well. It also beeps to let you know that a turn is coming and then beeps a second time when you need to turn. :lol:

I have City Select 7 and the Map60Cx, and it will do all turnes but does not do any Keep Lefts or Keep Rights, for when Roads Split like from Livonia Michigan to Ypsilanti on Michigan Avenue. When there are split offs I have to watch the screen because my GPS will not alert me to KEEP LEFT or KEEP RIGHT, when Michigan Avenue splits in different places. The GPS V did alert when to KEEP LEFT or KEEP RIGHT in those instances.

I have City Select 7 and the Map60Cx, and it will do all turnes but does not do any Keep Lefts or Keep Rights, for when Roads Split like from Livonia Michigan to Ypsilanti on Michigan Avenue. When there are split offs I have to watch the screen because my GPS will not alert me to KEEP LEFT or KEEP RIGHT, when Michigan Avenue splits in different places. The GPS V did alert when to KEEP LEFT or KEEP RIGHT in those instances.

The problem is probably unit/software incompatibility. City Select NA 7 is designed to run in the GPS V, but is not recommended for the 60Cx. It'll load and run, but as you're found out, it won't run to its full capability. City Navigator, on the other hand, is designed for the 60Cx. A 60Cx running City Navigator will properly handle road forks, etc.

What the huh? :blink:

I agree. My 76CSx routes me VERY well and always informs me if I need to keep left or right.

The problem is probably unit/software incompatibility. City Select NA 7 is designed to run in the GPS V, but is not recommended for the 60Cx. It'll load and run, but as you're found out, it won't run to its full capability. City Navigator, on the other hand, is designed for the 60Cx. A 60Cx running City Navigator will properly handle road forks, etc.

I'm using City Select v6 - even older - on my 76CSx and I have zero issues with the routing. Sounds as if the MAPS for your area are the problem.