Impossible to use car GPS for geocaching?

Just three weeks ago I dropped bucks for a Garmin Streetpilot 330 for my car to get around Boston without going insane. Last week I got my first cache without using a GPS, but now I think I really need a GPS to find caches better. Are you telling me that it is impossible to download waypoints to my car GPS and that I have to buy another one? Are you SURE?!

Just three weeks ago I dropped bucks for a Garmin Streetpilot 330 for my car to get around Boston without going insane. Last week I got my first cache without using a GPS, but now I think I really need a GPS to find caches better. Are you telling me that it is impossible to download waypoints to my car GPS and that I have to buy another one? Are you SURE?!
I think it is impossible with that one but check your user manual. :D

I uploaded some test caches from geocaching.com to my C550 using Garmin's new Communicator interface software and a USB cable. Just for kicks I also loaded some Topo maps. If I were desperate, I could find a cache using just the topo maps and the uploaded cache; I suppose the C330 has the same capability. In fact, even without the topo you could probably find caches using paper maps and the C330. However, because the street pilots are not field rugged, and I have a 60CSx, I never tested the theory.

GW

Edited by Glenn W

Since the 330 accepts custom points of interest (POIs) it would seem that you may be able to at least load a custom POI database on the card and do it that way. If it let's you push a button to mark a waypoint and then edit it you could use that method to enter caches one by one. Personally, I'd get a handheld for geocaching rather than go to that hassle and risk trashing your automotive unit.

The C330 is the same as the C320, the only differance is that the C330 is preloaded with the street maps.

I have a Garmin street pilot 320, I load waypoints into my C320 with GSAK.

The only problem I have found is that the C320 does not have an off road function. I use my C320 to get to the area of the cache, then I use my Magellan explorist 500 to zero in on the cache.

Remember the c330 is not waterproof or rugged enough to withstand normal Geocaching. But if you insist on using it you can. First off you must use Garmin’s free POI loader (or GKSAK, EasyGPS, etc) to load Geocache waypoints into your unit. Waypoints can not be loaded manually. Then you use the c330 to autoroute you close to the cache. Once you are close, you can back out to “Find” the waypoint again. This time select “Map” instead of “Go”. This will display you and the waypoint on the map and you can walk towards the cache. Continue to zoom in as you get closer. This should get you within 30’ and the rest is up to you.

The C330 is the same as the C320, the only differance is that the C330 is preloaded with the street maps.

I have a Garmin street pilot 320, I load waypoints into my C320 with GSAK.

The only problem I have found is that the C320 does not have an off road function. I use my C320 to get to the area of the cache, then I use my Magellan explorist 500 to zero in on the cache.

So it would come in handy if you had a basic handheld. Nice to know... :laughing: