Making Personal Coins

scavok

I've seen a few threads of people's personal coins/items that are handmade and there are always a half dozen unanswered posts that tag along asking how they did it.

I don't know how everyone makes their sig items, but now that I finally got around to taking some decent pics I thought I'd share how I happen to make mine.

SEE POSTS 4 & 5 FOR SAFETY CONCERNS

---------------

I make mine out of lead, it is cheapest and cleanest to buy it in 1/4lb ingot form.

STEP 1

These are melted down in a number of different ways. I use steel ramekens over a camping burner (used only for this purpose, don't eat off of it after you melt lead over it). Pour some of it into a steel toothpick holder (happened to be the perfect size) that is heated as well to prevent solidification on contact. The result is a little lead pancake with good edges.

STEP 2

I take this to my vise/anvil and hammer it flat and textured to hide imperfections and give a uniform surface.

STEP 3

The hard part is giving the coin its raised edge by pulling as I hammer it round.

STEP 4

STEP 5

I then use steel letter stamps on the faces and edge with the personalized phrase for the customer and the tracking code (can't forget that!)

STEP 6

STEP 7

I use my rotary tool with a dried sponge attached to brighten it up. The sponge rubs off the oxidized lead and rough edges around the edge and lettering without really gouging it. It really makes the coin shine. The first pic is before the rub down, and the same camera setting for the second shot after it is all shiny. I've used a mask and gloves the whole time but I especially can't touch it now. If I do touch it, after clear coating it something happens chemically and the fingerprint stands out like black on white (I learned that the hard way).

STEP 8

STEP 9

I then clear coat it multiple times over a period of a week (for durability and safer handling of the lead).

Done 1

Done 2

inhand.jpg

Edited by scavok

Just so some kid who happens to read this thread thinking this is a great idea and wanting to try this I want to point out that there are serious health and safety concerns to consider when working with melted lead - or any lead as far as that goes. I wish the OP would have mentioned these risks in this thread to make sure people are better informed about the risks but be that as it may. Something I grabbed quick from the net:

The list of what NOT to do is probably the most important thing to review when working with lead. Both lead dust and the vapors from melted lead are poisonous, especially to children and pregnant women. Lead poisoning in children will cause brain developmental problems and in adults it will destroy the kidneys. There is no treatment, and no way to remove the lead once your body is contaminated. Serious burns are more immediate as lead melts at about 630 degrees F and at that temperature it will easily burn through clothing and skin. Also moisture and hot lead do not mix. Water instantaneously expands to 30 times its liquid volume when vaporized by molten lead and will cause an explosion. So here are some precautions you may want to follow:

1) Wear as much protective gear as you own or can stand, including a face shield, leather apron, boots, gloves, respirator, etc.

2) Work outside or in a very well ventilated area. Do not smoke as the dust will be vaporized by the burning tobacco.

3) Clean up all spills.

4) Keep your work cloths separate from the family laundry.

5) Wash your hands or shower when you complete a session. Do not eat, until you and your cloths are clean.

6) Work in a dry location and pre-heat lead, tools, and molds.

7) Once the lead is melted, turn down the heat in order to reduce the fumes and potential for serious burns.

Just so some kid who happens to read this thread thinking this is a great idea and wanting to try this I want to point out that there are serious health and safety concerns to ...

Even if I had said something someone else would have as well (we know the forums!).

Jay Mills is right though. If you are going to do this, do it smart. All the equipment I use for these is dedicated to it (including a shop vac with a heavy-metal HEPA air filter for cleanup), none are used on anything else because of the risk of contamination. I use a mask that would look at home on an exterminator and a leather gettup otherwise.

Most serious lead poisonings occur with high exposure over a long period of time. Still, it's probably not a good idea to sniff the molten, touch household items with shiny gloves, or chew on the coin <_<. There is a reason I don't sell them unfinished. Always with many coats of clear coat or covered in epoxy.

Lead ingot and its alloys come with warnings and cautions specific to the metal and its use. ALWAYS pay attention to them.

Edited by scavok