Mac + Handspring Visor = Paperless?

JaeCee

I mentioned in another thread that last week I went caching with a friend that is a premium member, and got to tinker with pocket queries. The problem was that we had no simple way of carrying the information on each query around. Despite her having a Treo, we couldn't get the .prc files that were emailed to open. I think we tried downloading eReader and Plucker.

After getting back, I've dug out my old Handspring Visor Platinum, blew all the dust off and restored it from my backup card.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the .prc file to load properly on it, and have been having a hell of a time. I have an older version of iSilo and WordSmith. I've tried loading the current version of iSilo (using iSiloX to convert the file) and Plucker. None of these seem to be able to open the file. If they do manage to see it, it'll either be garbage (complete garbage, or straight plaintext, despite the html), crash the device when I attempt to.

After tinkering with pocket queries, I'm itching to become a member so I can generate my own, especially since I'll be making a cross-country drive in a couple weeks. Having to go back and look at every cache and print out information on them after running a query is a bit of a nuisance and a deal-breaker for me though.

I notice there is the GPX Spinner program for Windows that supposedly converts to a iSilo/Plucker readable file, which I haven't been able to test yet. My only Windows access is at work.

Has anyone managed to get an Handspring Visor to load this information somehow (hell, if someone can point in the right direction, I'd be happy to write up a perl script to make the conversion)? Is there a program in which converting the .prc to something else isn't necessary? It seems rather silly to offer it up in a file that needs to be converted.

Edited by JaeCee

I used to use a Visor Pro then Visor Prism as my primary GPSr using a Magellan GPS Companion springboard module and GeoNiche. This worked well for me in the beginning but had limited mapping. I still use GeoNiche on a Palm TX with a bluetooth GPSr in addition to my primary GPSr (Meridian Color). Some people prefer CacheMAte but I love GeoNiche. Not only will it help point you to the cache, it will store all the data about the cache including logs if you want. It is not necessary to use it with a GPSr, but I prefer to. GeoNice comes with its own conversion tool, EasyNiche which convert gpx files to pdb file to be loaded into you Visor. By the way, I no longer use the Companion GPSr, so if you want it, it's yours. You can check out GeoNiche here: www.raydarllc.com

I used to use a Visor Pro then Visor Prism as my primary GPSr using a Magellan GPS Companion springboard module and GeoNiche. This worked well for me in the beginning but had limited mapping. I still use GeoNiche on a Palm TX with a bluetooth GPSr in addition to my primary GPSr (Meridian Color). Some people prefer CacheMAte but I love GeoNiche. Not only will it help point you to the cache, it will store all the data about the cache including logs if you want. It is not necessary to use it with a GPSr, but I prefer to. GeoNice comes with its own conversion tool, EasyNiche which convert gpx files to pdb file to be loaded into you Visor. By the way, I no longer use the Companion GPSr, so if you want it, it's yours. You can check out GeoNiche here: www.raydarllc.com

Awesome! I tried downloading the CacheMate trial last night and was quite pleased with the test gpx file I converted with the Mac conversion tool. I love that my Handspring is getting its second wind after 4 years of collecting dust in my closet!

I'll hopefully get a chance to try GeoNiche tonight. The one thing I noticed CacheMate didn't have, which would be rather helpful, is the ability to search waypoints/cache names. The only search it offers is by coordinates. Does GeoNiche offer that?

I quite appreciate both the help and the offering of the companion board. Considering how reliable the 60CSx has been for me, keeping the Handspring as lightweight and long-lasting as possible as a simple cache info viewer is all I'm looking for.

Edited by JaeCee

Yes, you can keyword search. If you are in 'Targets' mode there is a small field at the bottom you can type in a keyword and it lists the matching caches.

Good Luck!

Rob

rtmlee

Awesome! I tried downloading the CacheMate trial last night and was quite pleased with the test gpx file I converted with the Mac conversion tool. I love that my Handspring is getting its second wind after 4 years of collecting dust in my closet!

I'll hopefully get a chance to try GeoNiche tonight. The one thing I noticed CacheMate didn't have, which would be rather helpful, is the ability to search waypoints/cache names. The only search it offers is by coordinates. Does GeoNiche offer that?

I quite appreciate both the help and the offering of the companion board. Considering how reliable the 60CSx has been for me, keeping the Handspring as lightweight and long-lasting as possible as a simple cache info viewer is all I'm looking for.