Running NG Topo from the hard drive

Alan2

I had to re load all my programs after re-installing WIN XP. I loaded NG Topo main disk and other map regions into a folder in the C drive then installed NG Topo from there. However, the program is still looking to read the 24K topo maps from the CD drive. What am I doing wrong?

Tks Alan2

I had to re load all my programs after re-installing WIN XP. I loaded NG Topo main disk and other map regions into a folder in the C drive then installed NG Topo from there. However, the program is still looking to read the 24K topo maps from the CD drive. What am I doing wrong?

Tks Alan2

Alan,

You shouldn't have to edit the registry. You don't have to do the Mickey Mouse stuff with NG Topo that you do with Mapsource to run it from the HD.

Look on the information that came with the disks, and it will tell you how.

You should be able to just load the Disk 1 and install it from there and put it where you want it. With older versions the different disks were copied to separate folders directly on "C", named CO_DO2 (second disk of Colorado), CO_DO3,etc.

Newer versions place the map files(all the files on disk 2,3,4,etc) in separate folders for each disk in

C:\program files\TOPO!\TPO_DATA.....in the CO_DO2 etc files.

The program will be under Program Files......(and has an ! ), once the program is installed, the files you create (.tpo files) will be stored in a folder C:\TOPO (no "! ") don't get the two confused.

Just install it from the disk drive onto C and then put disk 2 in and copy and paste it to the TPO_DATA folder. the correct new folder will be created and then go to disk 3,4,etc

Edited by Grasscatcher