newbie needs help.

gargoyle725

Ok the family and I have only looked for 2 so far and struck out bout times. I dont mind cause thats the fun but my son is only 10 and after second strike he said he didnt like it because we never find anything. is there anyone in the clearwater area that would like to go out one evening and help us even if you allready know where it is? thanks for any help. caleb

What Size caches are you looking for? You should try to go for the ones that are at least "Small," but preferably "Regular." Also, make sure you are looking for caches with a Difficulty of less than '2'. If they are rated higher than that , they could be very cleverly-cammoed and might be hard to find, even for an experienced cacher.

Ok the family and I have only looked for 2 so far and struck out bout times. I dont mind cause thats the fun but my son is only 10 and after second strike he said he didnt like it because we never find anything. is there anyone in the clearwater area that would like to go out one evening and help us even if you allready know where it is? thanks for any help. caleb
Try looking for ones with a difficulty rating of one star. When you get nea the right coords put the GPS in your pocket and look for the cache in likely hinding spots. :ph34r:
well today it was small 1.5 diff. cache is about 2" x 5".

the first cache I did not have any info but the lat/long so after printing the clues we need to go back and try again

Try finding a regular sized container. Those are typically much easier to find because there are less places you can hide them.

I strongly agree with the advice to stick to larger containers with low difficulty.

Perhaps you might want to find a couple on your own, and then go back with your son later?

I also strongly suggest you become a premium member, at least for one month ($3). Then, you can run POCKET QUERIES. This will make it much easier for you to come up with a list of the type of caches you are looking for.

For example, I just ran a PQ for your area.

Traditional (single stage)

Large and Regular containers only

Difficulty no greater than 1.5

Terrain no greater than 2.5

I came up with 45 caches within a 15 mile radius of the center of Clearwater.

If I expand this to include small containers as well, the number of caches increases to 101.

It is very easy to do this once you play around with it a little. You can also click an icon to get a custom Google map that shows ONLY the caches that came up in your PQ. It's great! And, it only shows the type of caches YOU want to look for.

Here is a sample of what I got (zoomed in, so fewer caches showing)

7222007113138.png

Regardless of how you do it, stick to large easy finds and you'll be successful!

Happy Geocaching!