best handheld GPS for urban caching

This happened to me a few days ago, and I'm probably not the only one.

I've only been caching for a few months now, using an older Magellan unit. Despite its age, it gets the job done pretty well. It is usually accurate within 3-9 ft, and maintains a decent signal even among a cluster of trees. It also did well in many areas of Spokane. However, when I tried using it in downtown Seattle, it was virtually useless. Seattle has been the biggest city where I've done any geocaching, and it has many more high-rises than Spokane. Trying to get and keep a signal was an absolute nightmare, and I got frustrated to the point where I wanted to smash my GPS against the nearest brick wall.

Since I plan to do a lot of caching in big cities, can anyone recommend a GPS better suited for urban areas?

Thanks!

Garmin's website has two HCx models: Legend and Vista. Is there much difference between the two?

The Vista HCx has a built-in electronic compass and barometer. The Legend is the same as with Vista with the omission of these two features.

Hint: the Garmin page here lets you compare units...just checkmark the ones you want to compare and hit the "compare" button.

The newly-released Garmin HCx units have a more-sensitive chip. The Garmin GPSMap 60 Cx/CSx are really great. The Garmin City Navigator mapping software is also highly-rated for giving excellent directions.

Hi,

I am deceived with what my 60Csx says in urban areas. I suppose this is because of the bouncing signals, it's really hard to get even an IDEA of what the real coordinates may be. Position continuously jumps here and there, say about 30 meters around, restlessly.

Now, it may not be specific to the 60Csx, but due to its extreme sensitiveness to weak signals, and especially to the rebouncing ones, it seems to me that it can't say what an average position would be.

Am I wrong ?

Cheers.

pyt22fr

Hi,

I am deceived with what my 60Csx says in urban areas. I suppose this is because of the bouncing signals, it's really hard to get even an IDEA of what the real coordinates may be. Position continuously jumps here and there, say about 30 meters around, restlessly.

Now, it may not be specific to the 60Csx, but due to its extreme sensitiveness to weak signals, and especially to the rebouncing ones, it seems to me that it can't say what an average position would be.

Am I wrong ?

No, even the mighty 60 CSx can get confused in 'canyon' conditions, urban and otherwise. It's simply less likely to do so than receivers that don't have high-sensitivity chipsets. If you spend much tume in urban canyons, you might try an external antenna. I keep a Gillson for just such an occasion--the actual antenna slips nicely in a pouch in my bush hat. It does alleviate the problem, but I have to admit I do look a bit ridiculous walking around downtown Chicago looking like Crocodile Dundee! :tired:

Garmin's website has two HCx models: Legend and Vista. Is there much difference between the two?

Everything is the same except the Vista also has an electronic compass and a barometer.

Personally, I think both of those features are pretty useless for geocaching and use up valuable battery life, so I would save some money and get the Legend. While the electronic compass is handy in theory, in practice it is usually more annoying than it is useful (in my experience). On the units of mine that have them, I go into the settings and turn them off.

--Marky