Paperless Caching

gl2060

I'll stick with my free version of GeoCaching.com....

Save the website as a text file. Cut & Paste the relevant stuff to my Palm (memo pad) and it's there for me to look over as needed in the field.

I can avoid the hints or use them. You can even get the logs on a separate page, save them too and put them in there.

Low tech... low cost... IT WORKS!

I'll stick with my free version of GeoCaching.com....

Save the website as a text file. Cut & Paste the relevant stuff to my Palm (memo pad) and it's there for me to look over as needed in the field.

I can avoid the hints or use them. You can even get the logs on a separate page, save them too and put them in there.

Low tech... low cost... IT WORKS!

Keep doing that and eventually you'll realize that your own time is worth more than 3 bucks a month. :angry:

Those are both fine ways to go about saving the info for one or two caches.

I use a Pocket Query, to choose up to 500 caches at a time. I can filter out any caches I know I won't be interested in (puzzles that are too hard for me, caches that need a boat etc) and download all 500 caches to my PDA & GPS. I can create and run the query, get it back from GC, open it in GSAK, save it to my GPS and create the file for my PDA, load that into my PDA and be out the door in about 5 minutes.

Then I can cache all day with all the information for hundreds of caches right at my fingertips.

Caches along a route for a trip can be a bit more time consuming, but an hour or so can get me all the caches I want for a 1000 mile trip. All within the distance I want to go off my main route and only the kinds of caches I might be interested in doing.

If you are planning a full day of caching or a trip, the ability to save dozens or hundreds of caches quickly is well worth the $2.50 a month (the actual price when you pay yearly) and the one-time fees for Cachemate and GSAK. It's the best investment I've made for geocaching.

The hints open in a separate page (decoded or not my choice). Cachemate provides a place I can add notes on each cache in the PDA and I can send it back to the computer from there if I wish (Great for remembering to tell the cache owner the logbook is getting full). GSAK puts the main info for the cache on my GPS (Garmin Map 60 CSx)--terrain difficulty, hider name, cache name and GC ID, type of cache, even the hint if I choose. My GPS will hold some unbelievable number of caches as "points of interest" and 1000 as geocache waypoints. To be very frank, that is complete overkill, as I usually load fewer than 1000 even on long trips.