Establishing a TB Starting Point?

Pathfinders4

I recently returned from a road trip to Texas and took along some TBs (mine and others). For a couple, this was the first time they were placed in a cache. I activated them in NC and took them to Texas, but their miles still show "0".

How can I go back and establish a "starting point" for a TB?

Can I use the same method for bugs in the future?

Thanks PF4

Typically you should only log TBs through caches they have visited. Luckily for me there is a cache very near my home that I stop by, check on, and log my through bugs when I post a note.

I suppose you could do some backlogging on one of your caches to get it a starting point from your location.

edit: spelling

Edited by BlueDeuce

Ordinarily I would agree with you. But shouldn't a TB get "credit" for the miles from its activation point to its first cache?

Is there a way to establish a virtual cache using the activation coords or home zip code to represent a starting point?

(When you activate a bug, it only asks for the State of origin).

PF4

Typically you should only log TBs through caches they have visited. Luckily for me there is a cache very near my home that I stop by, check on, and log my through bugs when I post a note.

I suppose you could do some backlogging on one of your caches to get it a starting point from your location.

edit: spelling

i just released my first bug not long ago, and i wanted it to start as close to home as possible also. so i did what it sounds like blueduece does. just post a note to a close cache, and call it virtual bug drop or sumthin. then log the bug into that cache. then, log the bug into the real cache that you dropped it in. it should then post the miles between the virt. drop and the actual. seemed to work ok for me. hope helps somewhat! happy caching.

Ordinarily I would agree with you. But shouldn't a TB get "credit" for the miles from its activation point to its first cache?

Is there a way to establish a virtual cache using the activation coords or home zip code to represent a starting point?

(When you activate a bug, it only asks for the State of origin).

PF4

I don't know if an unpublished cache, like what some people use to store their bugs/coins, will act as a first drop location to track mileage.

Maybe someone who uses one could tell us.

i think i know what you are asking, it is one thing to activate a TB but if you want to have a 'starting point' then what i have done is using one of my own near-by caches, place that TB in my cache after i have activated it and then pick-it up and then you have it's home base. This can be done online, that i do not need to physically go out, place the bug & pick it up. I know there wil not be a physical log entry in the actual log book, but one online. & i have only used my own caches that i know are out there & the status of them. Then at some point you click on the 're-calculate button & got your miles. hope this helps some. :D