Garmin eTrex Legend

Well after debating myself for a few days about which GPS to purchase, I finally made my mind. I'm going to purchase the Legend. Well the main reason i made this thread is to ask what problems i might encounter while using it?

~Bboy Prodigy.

(my first post ;))

Edited by bboyprodigy

Well after debating myself for a few days about which GPS to purchase, I finally made my mind. I'm going to purchase the Legend. Well the main reason i made this thread is to ask what problems i might encounter while using it?

~Bboy Prodigy.

(my first post ;))

I used a Legend for my first year of geocaching, and it worked well. It does get flaky under tree cover (losing satellite lock and jumping around), but other than that, it's a solid unit.

I switched to a Legend Cx for the expandable memory. I'm traveling more now, and with the micro SD card, I have a lot more room for maps. I also got a great deal on it at a pre-Christmas sale.

I think you'll be happy with it. And congrats on your first post.

StarDoc

I don't think you will encounter any problems, as long as you take your time, and get familiar with the controls and the menu. I have the Legend C, and I love it. The only problem came after I'd had it for over a year. The joystick quit working when pushing it to the left. I called Garmin, and they said to send it in. In 4 days, I had a brand new unit, with the waypoints transferred from the old one. No charge! Even after the warranty was 5 months passed!

You'll want mapping software too. I like the US Topo. It has all the roads, plus contour lines and streams, to keep you from walking blindly into a swamp.

Some may say that the Legend line is doomed, because Garmin is phasing them out, but I think you'll have support for a couple years, anyway.

I think you'll like the Legend.

I used a legend for hiking/hunting/fishing for quite a few years now. I just recently (this year) started caching. I've got about 80 "finds" with it now and it still works good. BTW it's also as waterproof as it gets. I've rolled my kayak w/it mounted on top without a problem.

Greg

Is there anywhere you can see any screenshots of the HCx screens

eg entering Waypoints and marking and searching for waypoints etc..

I have a yellow etrex and its a bit tedious to create and goto a new waypoint so just want to know if the newer models are easier etc..

I have a yellow etrex and its a bit tedious to create and goto a new waypoint so just want to know if the newer models are easier etc..

Garmin has a few on their webpages for the various models of the eTrex line. I think all of the C, Cx, and HCx models have the same basic screens. Also search the forum here. I've seen lots of screen shots people have posted.

It's been my experience that the models with the little joystick (ClikStik) are much easier to navigate around the many pages they have. Rather than having to scroll up and down on a character space like the yellow eTrex, you get a grid of letters and numbers that you navigate around using the joystick. With a little practice, it get's fairly easy to enter in custom waypoints. Of course, entering them in on the computer then uploading them is even easier.

I think all the color screen eTrex models have the geocaching mode. The little treasure chest icon (with lid closed) is reserved for geocaches, and when you find one, you have the option of a "Found" button, it makes a calendar entry, and then locks in on the next nearest geocache. It also changes the closed chest to the open chest icon.

StarDoc

Garmin has a few on their webpages for the various models of the eTrex line. I think all of the C, Cx, and HCx models have the same basic screens. Also search the forum here. I've seen lots of screen shots people have posted.

It's been my experience that the models with the little joystick (ClikStik) are much easier to navigate around the many pages they have. Rather than having to scroll up and down on a character space like the yellow eTrex, you get a grid of letters and numbers that you navigate around using the joystick. With a little practice, it get's fairly easy to enter in custom waypoints. Of course, entering them in on the computer then uploading them is even easier.

I think all the color screen eTrex models have the geocaching mode. The little treasure chest icon (with lid closed) is reserved for geocaches, and when you find one, you have the option of a "Found" button, it makes a calendar entry, and then locks in on the next nearest geocache. It also changes the closed chest to the open chest icon.

StarDoc

thanks for that,

I assume the "ClikStik" is fairly durable,

and one other thing that annoyed me is with the map-mode can you scroll around the map or browse it?

Yes, you can scroll and zoom all over the world, although overseas base maps leave a lot to be desired if you have a NA model (and vise-versa). You can also select a point anywhere you pan to and route to that location even if no waypoint is presently stored there.

When you're panned far away you can hit the page button to bring you back to your present location.

paulmc