So is there a way to geocache with a laptop

Cinder2007

Well, yes and no.

Yes because it is physically possible - you can plug a GPS receiver (via USB) into your laptop, which will then enable you to navigate (assuming you have applicable software) using just your laptop and GPS receiver.

But no as a a laptop is bulky, fragile and the batteries don't last very long. Forget the laptop, buy a proper GPSr (GPS receiver - in this case meaning something standalone and handheld) unit rather. Most Garmin mapping units will interface with your laptop if you load Garmin's nRoute, then your GPSr will function as a reciver and you can use the full functionality of the laptop as the graphical inteface. The laptop will then have the same functions as the GPSr by itself, but it's just a larger screen and more information is visible at a given time.

So if you find it all confusing then take the shortcut and just buy a normal GPS unit. :laughing:

Unless the laptop comes with gps, you'll have to buy a gps to interface with the laptop. Plus I'm not visualizing carrying a laptop around in the woods etc.

Are you thinking of trying to just use a mapping program to locate the cache? I don't think that would get you close enough to have a chance most of the time.

You'll have to go online at some point (as you did to post this question) to get cache info. I assume you mean not online when out hunting (no wireless card etc).

I think you'd be better off on ebay etc and get a basic gps.

Good luck