Website Update

S222222S

I think it would be helpful to add/update the geocaching.com "Resources", "Getting Started", and "Guide to Finding a Geocache" pages.

This update should possibly include reminders about:

-what to wear (long pants, boots, long sleeves, hat, etc..)

-what to bring with you in your geocache pack (gps, compass, camera, items to trade, a pen, water, a snack, sun screen, flashlight, firstaid kit, insect repellent)

-information about hiking safety tips

-how to identify poison ivy, oak, and sumac, and how to treat them if you come in contact with them

-some information about basic first aid!

-reminders about bug repellent, and how to treat insect bites!

-reminders to wear sunscreen!

I am relatively new to geocaching and in the few times I've been out I've gotten poison ivy twice (not wearing adequate clothing, and not knowing what to look out for). I've also gotten sun burned because I forgot sunscreen. Additionally, I've forgotten water, a pen, and first aid at different times.

I think this information would be invaluable to new geocachers like myself, and it could serve as a useful reminder to experienced geocachers about what to bring along.

Thanks!

-Steve

I was not aware that this content was already provided. Perhaps a revised suggested update would be to provide links to this information, websites, and podcasts, on the beginner's websites so they are aware of them, and can have easy access to them.

How about adding a disclaimer, something like:

Geocaching, hiking, backpacking and other outdoor activities involve risk to both persons and property. There are many variables including, but not limited to, weather, fitness level, terrain features and outdoor experience, that must be considered prior to seeking or placing a Cache. Be prepared for your journey and be sure to check the current weather and conditions before heading outdoors. Always exercise common sense and caution.

Oh, wait...that's already there

I was not aware that this content was already provided. Perhaps a revised suggested update would be to provide links to this information, websites, and podcasts, on the beginner's websites so they are aware of them, and can have easy access to them.

You could try Google.

As a general comment, I think that there has to be a point where the individual should take responsiblity for themself and common sense should apply. If you don't know how to play in the outdoors take the opportunity to go and learn. Use tools such as Google to get information, join an outdoor club, ask constructive questions in appropriate forums etc.

Regards

Andrew