Windows Vista/Gsak/Palm Quick Install

Marpeg

:laughing: I just purchased a new laptop with

Windows Vista as the operating system. Palm Quick Install will not work through Gsak. My whole purpose of getting a new, very small laptop was so that I could take it with me Any help would be appreciated. I need to be able to load the palm with cache descriptions. Heeeeeeeelp!

I have a laptop running XP Media Edition and it doesn't get along with the Palm Desktop Hotsync either. :rolleyes:

I downloaded a little program called "Pilot Install." It works . . . . most of the time, but only after all other programs have been closed and only from the Administrator account. Every once in a while I'll still get that awful "Blue Screen of Death." :laughing:

According to Palm's website, quick install doesn't work with Vista. Until they release a new Palm Desktop for Vista, I believe the workaround is to load the files directly to your SD card.

I'm not sure how I would load into the SD card from Gsak

Where do I get the download for "PalmVista Simple Installer"? Thanks, I'm not the most computer literate.

Once you have run your query in GSAK and are ready to export the PDB file to your SD card, just set that path as the filename to save the file to (On the SD Card). After creating the file on the SD card, it will attempt to run the install, and you can just cancel that.

I have been paperless caching for about a month now, and I have Vista, and that is the workaround I found. Haven't run into any problems with it.

I'm using Vista, GSAK and my palm all with no problems. Are you using Cachemate or something else on your Palm?

All I did was go to the Palm web sight and download the latest version of Palm Desktop and it works fine.

Well, aren't I the jealous one. I am using cachemate and will try the download. Are you using cachemate?

Gramza--

When idd you las download the latest version of Palm Desktop? I saw a note on the palm webpage saying they were working on a fix, but think it is due out sometime this summer.

About three weeks ago.

By the way, I HATE VISTA

Edited by Gramza Gang

Where do I get the download for "PalmVista Simple Installer"? Thanks, I'm not the most computer literate.

Once you have run your query in GSAK and are ready to export the PDB file to your SD card, just set that path as the filename to save the file to (On the SD Card). After creating the file on the SD card, it will attempt to run the install, and you can just cancel that.

I have been paperless caching for about a month now, and I have Vista, and that is the workaround I found. Haven't run into any problems with it.

Thanks, I have been paperless caching since about February so can't live without it and do not want to lug the bigt laptop around with me when traveling.

Gramza--

When idd you las download the latest version of Palm Desktop? I saw a note on the palm webpage saying they were working on a fix, but think it is due out sometime this summer.

About three weeks ago.

By the way, I HATE VISTA

I know, why does a good thing always have to change. It seems like if you want a new computer that is the only choice you have unless you go with a mac. I'm just not computer literate enough to make that change. I will say geocaching has definitely made me more computer literate. Happy caching and I will download the latest version and see if that helps. Thanks.

Gramza--

About three weeks ago.

By the way, I HATE VISTA

I know, why does a good thing always have to change. It seems like if you want a new computer that is the only choice you have unless you go with a mac. I'm just not computer literate enough to make that change. I will say geocaching has definitely made me more computer literate. Happy caching and I will download the latest version and see if that helps. Thanks.
Some PC makers are still offering XP. You just have to shop hard and special order.

From what I found a couple forums, some people get it to work, others don't. It may be some wierd setting in Vista that is stopping many people.

The PalmVista Simple Installer is here.

Thanks for the info, I am downloading Palm Vista Simple Installer now and hope that fixes the problem.

Marpeg