HELP

soggybottomkayaking

What GPS are you using. 5 Satellites seems a little lite to me. I normally see between 8 and 12. Since you were close on your previous searches I must assume your Datum is correct. Did you drop your GPS between then and this search? Did you actually find the cache so you know you were 500' feet off?

I had something similar happen after updating the firmware on my gps unit. After checking into all of the settings, I found some had changed. The two that greatly affected my accuracy were "lock on road" was turned on, and under the GPS option, "Battery Saver" was selected. With those settings, accuracy was around 250' at best and when I parked and got out to bushwhack, it was if I was "stuck" to the road. At first, I wasn't sure what the heck was going on, and it made geocaching pretty difficult. <_<

After a few days of thinking my GPS was broken, I finally sat down and went through all of my settings and found the problem. I was very happy to know that my new GPS wasn't going to have to go back to Garmin after all, but my excitement quickly turned to depression when I realized that I no longer had an excuse for all of my DNFs. :laughing:

It might not be your GPS at all. Since you have been right on for other caches, it could be that the hider reversed a couple of number when he input the coordinates on his cache page. I found a cache that was 1/2 a mile off one time because the owner had messed up. The only reason I found this cache is a previous cacher had actually found this cache and input the corrected coordinates. You might want to go caching with some with another GPS and compare your results to make sure you have a problem.