Logging Travel Bug Question

intolerable

Noob question, please bear with me...

Today I picked up a TB (TBPV7J) and went to log it. This being the first TB I've picked up, not seeing a 'retrieve from cache' option, I grabbed it from the current holder. After looking at the logs a little closer on this particular bug, noticed that it hadn't seen any activity in a few months and had never actually been dropped in the cache that I picked it up from.

Now I am not sure how I should handle this, even after reading through the FAQ. Should I log that I discovered it in the current cache, or attempt to contact the last holder of the TB so they can log back before I retrieved the TB from them? Or should I simply drop it in the cache that I dropped it in after picking it up (afraid that doing this would cause the poor TB to lose some mileage!)

This specific problem is probably clearly outlined in the FAQ, but I really am not sure how to best proceed and any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

- C