Colin Fletcher - The Complete Walker

ATMouse

In Passing

Okay, I'll admit it - I'm one of those who read his book - again and again and again - and modified many of his techniques into my backpacking style.

I recall when he was injured. TBI (traumatic brain injury) is a terrible thing - much like having a stroke. It steals you from yourself. I kept hoping he would recover enough to publish again. I eagerly purchased the most recent The Complete Walker, but it was just the last edition before that with some other person's over-commentaries. Almost nothing new.

I feel like I've lost an uncle, or an older brother, or a friend. I don't think I ever met him, tho' rumor had it that he liked to pop up on trails, rarely telling anyone who he was. My husband insists that Colin was that older man we met on the AT in 1987. I was afraid to ask him, thinking if it was Colin that he valued his anonymity and that I was loath to intrude or invade. Now I wish....I wish....

Anyone else want to add to a tribute to a man justly called one of the "patron saints" of backpacking in the US?

ATMouse, thank you for bringing this to our attention. On your advice I picked up The Complete Walker IV last weekend, and I have not been able to put it down. We spent the weekend doing dayhikes in the mountains of North Carolina, but as tired as I was, when I curled up with this book, I just kept reading. I can see why his writing has been so influential, I am truly enjoying it, so thank you for introducing me to it.

Colin Fletcher's books, including The Complete Walker were vastly inspirational when I first started backpacking. Lightweight backpacking has moved beyond his teachings, but he was one of the first to suggest that we could enter the backcountry without carrying enough break a mule's back.

I will always be indebted to him.